Practical Miles or Practically Clueless?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by pearldiver, Jan 23, 2007.

1. pearldiver

pearldiver Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2007
    You see those charts in the back of atlas that show distances between cities? Thats how you get paid miles :) !? Is that deceptive advertising on the part of companies that make their living off drivers, that you make xx cents a mile?

OK, the arguement is that pay will not change. Shippers will simply adjust their rates if carriers change calculations. So change is frowned upon. Bad. Very Bad.

It's bad when your dispatcher expects you to be on one side of town, pick up a load and be on the other side of town, and you get zero miles. You might get "accessorial" pay around $30 if you are fortunate, maybe a lot more.

Load planners become "practically clueless" because actual drive times can not be determined because drivers know the amount of time and the route, but have little if any imput on load schedules for some companies. Suddenly you have 45 minutes to make for because a load planner didn't calculate it becuase of household miles.

And if you are an owner operator, you can face penalties and excess service charges for such oversights and clerical errors.

I would like to see household good miles phased out so that sanity can come into the load planning phase. It eliminates deceptive advertising to new drivers? And cities should adopt zoning requirements that require businesses that accept big trucks to post visible entrance and exit signs, names on their buildings and directions to their facitilities as part of doing business. Seems like common sense, but a lot businesses loose time and money because it seems like too much effort?

Drivers go to a lot of effort to train and become drivers, facilities can spend thirty minutes to put up some couple of signs. We're professional truck drivers, not professional guessers (lol)?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowpoke98908

Slowpoke98908 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Yakima, WA
    Actually I am seeing more and more companies switching to practical routing.

It's not companies don't know how long it takes to go from point a to point b is they don't care. My drivers also don't care and will run these loads regardless.

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    My former company now uses practical miles, 'my' griping didn't change anything, but a competitor started doing it so they followed suit.

The worst load I had was where I had to drive 92 miles one way and then drive 9.75 hours to Indy with an appointment time that was hard to make. It took 30 more miles than I got paid for to run it the shortest way and then I had to fuel reefers at least twice logging 15 minutes each time to fuel. It paid nothing extra over running a dry van, plus the reefer units were on their third trailer and were noisy and unreliable. I was refusing those loads as much as possible, because basically, too much was unpaid.

Probably the city where I lost the most miles from what I actually drove using short miles was Indy, usually I had to go to the far side to make the delivery and got paid for only to the city limits.

AJ

5. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I like practical miles better.

6. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Dude, this thread is over six years old. How many pages back did you have to go to find it?

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.