Pre trip question

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Floridaboi23, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Floridaboi23

Floridaboi23 Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Florida
    Hello everyone, I'm new here. First off allow me to say I am so thankful I found this site. From those of us who's trying to choose a school, to veteran truckers, and everything in between, it can be found on here. With that being said, I find myself needing help with a question, so I figure there's no better platform to find input on it, than right here.
    I'll be attending a company sponsored cdl school in a few months (yeah yeah I know), simply put, I can't afford a private school. I honestly don't mind having to sign a contract, as of right now my main goal is to make it through school/training and get rolling so I get my first year safely behind me. But before that can happen, I have to make it through school, which leads to my question. Now I know there's gonna be some negative opinions and/or comments and I can accept that.
    I've been studying for my pre trip and I'm getting pretty good at it. But what I would like to know is will it benefit me in the near future once I'm in school or am I wasting my time??
    Let me also add that I don't have access to an actual tractor trailer in which I can practice on, I just kinda go over my pre trip using my personal vehicle and a lot of imagination. The reason I'm asking is because I'm pretty sure all engines aren't the same, as far as where some parts are located on it. I'm sure I'll get it down packed either way, but I would like some outside imput.
    Again, all advice and/or opinions will greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Alot

sealevel and joesmoothdog Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    You can never know too much. Study hard it'll pay off in the long run. Most everything is similar enough from 1 tractor to another to get a eyeball knowledge of, but the experienced eye catches problems.

4. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    First off what company are you going with?
    Secondly as far as the pre-trip goes, most trucks the parts in the engine are all the same. But getting it down before you get to school will be a huge advantage. There are pre-trip videos all over the internet, get the verbatim done. Properly Mounted and Secure, nothing Cracked Broke or bent. If it a hose, no cracks or leaks or frays. In the engine Properly Mounted and Secure, is it belt driven or gear driven. LOOK AT IT, if you DO NOT see a belt attached to it, it's gear driven. If it's belt driven, state such, and that there is no frays or cracks, and not to much free movement,
    Like the old TV Commericals THE MORE YOU KNOW. Go over it over and over and over until you see it in your sleep. The best way to know if you have the pre-trip is if you can explain it to someone who is NOT a driver and they understand what you just said.
    Also each state is different as far as doing the state CDL test as far as verbatige Ohio, you have to say it WORD FOR WORD, in Kentucky you can leave some words out and still pass.
    Also BRAKE TEST is part of your pre-trip. Had a guy in my class do everything, and said he was done with pre-trip and now he was going to do the brake test FAIL
    Good luck

5. Floridaboi23

Apr 14, 2018
    Florida
    Thank you guys so very much, I can't begin to stress that enough. As of right now it's kind of a toss up between C.R. England and Knight. I've done extensive research for the better part of the last 8 months or so, and I know they may not be everyone's first choice if given, but in my opinion, from what I've gathered, all company sponsored schools/programs are pretty much the same. I just wanna make sure whichever I choose, I'm somewhat prepared when it comes to test. And yeah I know about the in cab pre trip, once I get the outside down I was gonna start working on that. Once again, that you!

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It's good and refreshing to see a positive attitude built on desire to succeed. Like was mentioned, there's lots of videos and tutorials out there on youtube. Some are no doubt going to be better than others. Watch plenty of them. Learn to recognize better vids and teaching styles. Observe all the different approaches and highlights and after a while you will start to see a common theme.

But honestly, a lot of it will require an actual eyes/hands on ability to really start to get a handle on things and this will no doubt come in time, but having at least an idea what to expect will help keep you ahead of the game and a few steps ahead.

But be warned regarding the ability for anybody to be able to post a vid, with some things, you're going to see two or more ways "to do this or that" that will seem to contradict each other. One may be flat wrong. One may be iffy. There's a lot of misinformation out there, for a variety of reasons. Which takes me back to my earlier point about watch lots of them to start to recognize where this one does't seem to reconcile with another four or five viewed elsewhere

7. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Just keep doing what your doing. You have the right attitude. Get your liscence. Pick your company wisely. Put in a year. Remember your not looking for a job, your looking to be in the top 10%. Your on the right track.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Do more research. CRE is a bad choice.

firemedic2816 and sealevel Thank this.
  9. Floridaboi23

Apr 14, 2018
    Florida
    Thanks for your feedback guys. Watching videos on YouTube is actually how I taught myself the parts that I actually can easily identify. I've got what I feel is a pretty good method down, but like STexan mentioned, there's a lot people on YouTube doing videos on said subject and after watching quite a few, I would have to agree with him on the way a lot of them contradict each other.
    Not only that, but one person may mention a part of the inspection in they're video, and the people in the next two or three videos may mention another part which was never spoke of in the first video. So I guess it's safe to say, for my own good if nothing else, it's best if I just take as much as I can away from any and every video I watch and apply to it to what I've already learned, and everything I'm still yet to learn. And hopefully then I'll be able to knock it out on my first try.

10. herne

herne Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Yeah, if you have the memorization down you can actually do your pretrip thinking about the proper operation of the vehicle instead of just reciting a script. You're already ahead of most you'll be in school with.

11. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Curious you mentioned you have been doing research for a while, why or how did you decide on those two companies, possibly the 2 worse ones out there? Where about's in Florida are you?
    Have you checked out Millis Transfer, they have a school in cartersville georgia. Starting pay for students and new drivers Starting May 2 is .43/CPM. Are you wanting to do TCD,Skate board or Van?
    Also Check out Maverick and Jim Palmer/Wil-Trans they have great programs and pretty decent starting pay. Also if you must go Mega, Prime is okay, stay away from CRE or Knight, they have bad reputations also stay away from SWIFT

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.