Pre trip wording

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Chadf652, May 13, 2018.

1. Chadf652

Chadf652 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2018
    Will I lose points or not get credit for a part during a pre trip if for an example when I call out my steering shaft, steering gear box, and my suspension if I include “no missing nuts, bolts, bushings in every part even though the suspension will be the only part with bushings or for another example if I use the wording the drivers window is not cracked, bent, broken, clean, and securely mounted even tho glass obviously wouldn’t be bent.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Do you work for the government or are you a democrat ?

Milr72, Bean Jr. and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Chadf652

Chadf652 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2018
    Lol

5. Chadf652

Chadf652 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2018
    I’m just asking bc I’ve heard of some strict state testers out there. Wasn’t sure if they’d not give you credit or deduct points.

6. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    First off breathe.

Now different testers are going to have different pet peeves. However if you show a rudimentary understanding of what you should be looking at you will be fine. You do not have to say 9,000 words on every part of every corner.

A simple "checking the steering shaft for play, and looking for loose worn parts through the assembly to the steering box" type deal should work.

Good luck

LateNightCable, Bean Jr. and Chadf652 Thank this.
  7. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I took my test in MA. By the time i got to the rear of the tractor(first tandem axle), I didn't even start the trailer inspection yet. The trooper said alright your done, you know what you're doing. Let's go drive.

I've heard that is pretty common practice. If you sound like you know what you're doing you should be fine.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

In IL they can fail you for using "bulb" rather than "lamp". The school will likely be your best guide as they have sent numerous people through the DMV you will use.

9. SmoothTrucker23

SmoothTrucker23 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yup. Same thing happened with me. The trooper had me jumping all around the truck. Enough about what happened to me though. Just know the truck. Know all the important parts. Ask people who have previously tested already. They should give you the best answers. Also keep practicing. Like go everyday in to school and practice and practice till you can do this in your sleep. Good luck!!!

10. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Your CDL instructor should be offering at least some guidance. You can't say too much, but in KY there's a time limit so be careful.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  11. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    At the Swift CDL academy I attended, we were timed by the state inspector. I say this to point out that too much excess language could be a problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.