President McKinley radio issues

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by jmplaysbass, Jul 9, 2018.

1. jmplaysbass

jmplaysbass Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018
    So I just installed my new mckinley, and I've found two issues 1) when ever I try to turn the RF gain down it instantly goes back to max, and 2) If I try to talk over the PA it cuts out after a second or two. Has anyone else had these issues, any help would be great

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Press and hold the channel selector for a few seconds to retain the setting. Honestly, this is one pet peeve I have with the McKinley—the RF gain should have its own knob.

As for the PA, I don’t know. I don’t use that function.

4. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Yep, RF Gain, RF Power, and the Mic Gain, you have to hold down the channel selector knob a few seconds to lock in your new setting...As for the PA problem you mentioned, I also have no idea about that, since I don't have a PA speaker, and never use that feature...Probably just something your not doing right like with the RF Gain... I still haven't figured out the VOX thing yet either, mainly because that's something I probably won't ever use, but nice that it's there just in case.

5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I agree. It's so annoying that I just use the squelch instead of the RF gain.

I wonder if it can be hacked to convert the squelch knob to an RF gain knob? Yet another something to add to my list of to-do projects...

6. jessejamesdallas

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If you don't want to hear stations...just turn down the volume...

7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    It's not a matter of not hearing stations. It's a matter of adjusting the RF gain to cancel out the noise floor.

8. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I guess I dont find it too annoying to adjust RF gain, just simply press key 11 twice,adjust with channel selector knob, long press selector knob to validate, usually 2 clicks ccw will eliminate static, not as easy as standard Cobra 29 but still can be done while driving. As far as PA function I havnt used it, maybe try adjusting the volume level, maybe its on high and it doesnt work well on high. I have been using radio for a couple of weeks now and only issue I am having is that it picks up alot of engine noise, more than other radios( cobra 29, BC 980, ) dont know if that is due to increase receive or lack of good filtering, but I have to turn down RF gain to make it bearable.

9. jessejamesdallas

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Turn on all those noise filters on the McKinley and it drops the noise floor a bunch.

10. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    NB/ANL and High Cut are on and still hear engine noise, it is fine when sitting still but start driving and you can hear rpm' s increase and when slowing down you can hear them decrease, sounds like an outboard motor or motorcycle.

11. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    I have powered radio with Kenworth T680 stock power studs and have used power cord ( K40 brand) to 12V/120W power port and no difference, so Im assuming only other option is to run directly to battery, but that probably wont happen, so I guess SOL!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.