Presidential candidate says driverless trucks will cause mass riots

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by 3523, Mar 18, 2019.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    And I thought cheap natural gas killed the coal industry.

4. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010

Good luck with that. One of the companies wanted access to the US Military's secure GPS no way that is happening.

"There is no way in bloody hell that any amount of computing power, lasers, cameras, and blind luck can compensate for the sheer lunacy that happens at rush hour down I-75 in major construction zones (three of them in the greater Cincinnati area alone, plus more in Northern Kentucky) with the narrow lanes, no reflectors, bad weather causing all kinds of glare, semis weaving around, cars moving 55 next to cars moving 30 mph, and heading southbound on the northbound side of the freeway. The human brain with all of the computing power behind it, combined with the years of experience that many drivers have, has a tough enough time handing the stress of that area.

There are too many drivers, too many cars, too much construction, too many variables, bad weather, and an outdated freeway system for any of this to be a realistic goal. I understand the whole “getting it in bits and pieces” like the traffic jam assist, and some forms of adaptive cruise control. Those work only with an attentive driver ready to pull the plug on the computer control anyway. But to turn things over to a HAL 9000 with the kind of driving environment we currently have…no way. I still trust my brain and my skills to make the best decisions on the highway in all conditions and not trust some system that can crash, be hacked, be out of date, or just have a bad day."

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  5. RubyEagle

Apr 17, 2010
    "Here in Arizona multiple companies years ago promised that autonomous cars and semis would be plying the roads “real soon now”. Waymo was supposed to have over 10,000 driverless vans on the roads last year and some Chinese outfit was going to run dozens of LTL truck ‘bots down I-17 and I-10 every day.

Hasn’t happened. Why? Because the crap software doesn’t work outside of a controlled lab environment."

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  6. RubyEagle

Apr 17, 2010
    "A friend who works in the money unlimited black world tells me that they can’t get this working either. Air travel is automated….the plane can take off and land by computer…but the space a plane travels is a lot simpler than an automotive trip, where a lot of sudden things can happen.

I file this under the Popular Science magazine cover telling me the flying family car is coming 5 years from now……"

Joetro and Rollr4872 Thank this.
  7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Very well said. I couldn't have said it better myself.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I followed Moller Sky cars for years. Sooner or later they will come along well enough.

Moller International

9. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    If im Not mistaken the SkyCar is operational it’s the FAA that’s not allowing it for full on testing because the licensing is either to costly or something like that or having the idiots on the road up in the air is a big mistakes.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I will support that thought.

As bad as some of the trainees are on the big trucks, it would be a problem up in the air as well. We don't need that. I agree with you on that thinking.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  11. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I was just about ready to give up on trucking last night after a Werner driver decided to cut me off by inches and on top of that brake check me, not sure why as I Didn’t cut anyone off or have any issues, but hey we live and learn I guess.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.