pressure all but one tire

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Greggg, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Greggg

Greggg Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2018
    i have super singles on a spread axle. One of them is really bad. Just wondering if I can slightly inflate other 3 with more pressure ? just to make it home where tires are cheaper than on the road

I know it’s a gamble think it’s worth the shot ? Putting a little less pressure on that tire

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m not familiar with super singles, but normally running a tire low will increase heat, and the chances of a blowout.Also makes a tire skip, on duals anyway, making flat spots. I’d keep at least 85-90 lbs. If it’s rated for 110 max.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yup, blow out waiting to happen.
    If it's a slow enough leak, you may get by with topping it up every few hours.
    But an audible leak is an out of service problem.

PE_T and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Less than 50 % of max rating. Got shutdown once in Ohio for that. Legally flat OOS. Filled with air hose, off I went. I should have gotten a break that time. IMO.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    putting more air in the other tyres just changes how much air you have in them three tires, It will do nothing for the fourth. Look at what youarev talking about and think about how that could never work.
    You do not want to run a super single low either, it is nothing like running a dual low.
    Is the tire leaking, coming apart or what. If it has been run low, be careful airing it back up, seen them blow the side out and anywhere close to it is not where you want to be.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.