pretrip and postrip for each trailer during a single day.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Boomer08, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Boomer08

Boomer08 Light Load Member

May 26, 2010
    I work for first fleet and they just recently started having the drivers do a pretrip and postrip for each trailer they pick up during the day. So if I have three trailers I will have 3 pretrips and 3 postrips . I was always under the assumption that you had to have a pretrip at the beginning of the day and a postrip at the end of the day. I understand that you have to do a dvir for each piece of equipment, but it doesn't make sense to do a pretrip and postrip for each trailer. I would think they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit if, heaven forbid one of the drivers hits and kills someone and they did the required beginning of the day pretrip and they did the drop and hook macro, but forgot the to do a postrip and pretrip after a drop and hook. Maybe I am jus missing something..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I'm seeing double vision here,lol.Can you delete one of your threads,they're the same.

bigdogpile Thanks this.
  4. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    They don't have to PRETRIP each trailer they hook to, but the do have to do a SAFETY CHECK of each trailer they hook to. That should be logged as on duty and takes 5 minutes. Check lights, tires, holes, airlines, pins, tandem position, that's about it. You are correct that Pre and Post should only be done once a day.

By the way. I always do a quick safety check of a trailer I've just dropped. If I'm done for the day I include it in my Post Trip. If I'm going to hook to another trailer, I just do my thing, checking for flats is about it. This only takes a minute so I don't log another "safety check". I figure the time is already allocated under "drop and hook" on duty time.

5. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    My company just started making us do a dvir for each trailer we drop. That is to cut down on people dropping trailer that have problems. They will be able to see who dropped it last.

Not sure what that would have to do with any lawsuits.

6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Can you quote the FMCS'R that backs that up? You're quoting laws that may or may not get a driver into a mess. Just because you do it that way does not make it right. So far what it says you'll do a pre-trip and Driver Inspection (post-trip) on every vehicle you operate. See FMCSR §392.7 and §396.11.

roshea and spyder7723 Thank this.
  7. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Regs state you need to inspect the MOTOR vehicle before and after each trip. As far as I'm aware, that does not necessarily include trailers unless attached at the time of the pre/post trip inspection.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=396.13

Now the regs that require the completion and submission of DVIRs just say for every vehicle operated. I'd assume there that they mean to include trailers.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=396.11

So what this tells me is that I must do a pre-trip on the truck and whatever trailer I am attached to when I begin my day, but I do NOT need to do a full pre-trip every time I hook to a new trailer. However, some type of inspection must be done as a DVIR must be submitted for each trailer and the truck that you operated that day.

You're gettin crusty in your old age GH! :biggrin_2559:

8. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You hook that trailer to the truck and it becomes a motor vehicle. You need to do a pre-trip. It's only common sense and you'll be asked in court.

roshea, spyder7723 and 123456 Thank this.
  9. rightlane4trucking

rightlane4trucking Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Mount Shasta, California
    § 390.5 Definitions.

Motor vehicle means any vehicle, machine, tractor, trailer, or semitrailer propelled or drawn by mechanical power and used upon the highways in the transportation of passengers or property, or any combination thereof determined by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, but does not include any vehicle, locomotive, or car operated exclusively on a rail or rails, or a trolley bus operated by electric power derived from a fixed overhead wire, furnishing local passenger transportation similar to street-railway service.

10. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Thanks for the reference but I would hope everyone that drives a truck would already know this. Sometimes you have drivers that just want to skirt the law to save a couple of minutes so it's good they see it in black and white. Then again you might have some that would argue this too. They'll spend countless hours trying to prove themselves right when we're only talking about a pre-trip. Thanks again.

11. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    You do realize that a pre-trip includes the truck right? That means the air leak test, AC/heater, checking the engine compartment, fluids, etc. Every time you hook to a trailer? Really? You are right in that the trailer is considered part of the pre-trip and is also considered a vehicle. But there is no way they expect you to do a full pre-trip if you drop and hook somewhere after your day has already begun. Do an inspection on the trailer, absolutely, but a full pre-trip is silly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.