Prime Inc. - A year in review

Discussion in 'Prime' started by U2Exit, Apr 1, 2009.

1. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Some people have asked for the kind of miles I have been running... so here they are.

Assume each per month total is exactly 4 weeks, we are paid weekly so assume 4 (7 day weeks) are a month.

April- I was a student running with my trainer on a solo clock. Students are not officially hired until they get their full CDL. My trainer would have all the miles on his stubs, but I dont have any.

The following numbers are my training miles, where I made $0.12/mile or $600 whichever is more for the week. I did not take any days off, or go home...some repair days and a day or two at my trainers house. Running team

May (3 weeks)-16347
    June - 19799
    July (3.5 weeks)-13234

I took 10 or so days off at home and came back and picked up my truck at the beggining of Aug. (5th). Solo at .30/mile plus fuel bonus raised to .34 mid Oct.

Aug - 9755
    Sep - 8403 (4 days at home)
    Oct - 8430 (4 at home)
    Nov - 9113
    Dec - 9146 + 1940 (4 at home)

the extra week is to account for 28 day month totals... it left me with an extra week at the end of Dec.

Jan - 8442 (4days at home)
    Feb - 7720 (raise to .35 at the end of Feb)
    Mar - 8970 + 1181 (there has been 13 weeks so far. 4days at home)

As a solo my
    2008 weekly avg was 2228
    2009 weekly avg is 2024

Overall (08-09)an additional 1400 dollars total in fuel bonus at an 08 avg of .02/mile and 09 avg of .015/mile. Plus there is drop pay and layover too.

My 2009 weekly pay average has me right now making 38k over 52 weeks. As, and if miles go up or down that number will do the same.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jnb1110

jnb1110 Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2009
    BEAVERTON, OR
    Thanks u2. I'm training right now with Prime running in Texas. I'll be taking my test in a week or so. Prime has treated me very well so far.

4. Highgear

Highgear Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Baltimore,Maryland
    Thanks alot! Thinking about going back on the road! Prime called a couple days ago saying my application was approved! Just wondering what category they will put me in? I have 8 months of experience in driving tractor trailers, Had my A license about a year now. Been driving trucks and been in trucking almost 12 years now. I would love to take the driving test there, then get my own truck (Company solo) then hit the road after oreintation!

Simonsr Thanks this.
  5. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    A couple things there make it hard for me to say for sure...

Was the 8 months OTR?

If youve had your CDL A for a year and have 8 months experiance, then if you havent been driving for the last 4 months they may send you out for a shortend training period. Safety Dept. will make the overall call based on your experiance and an evaluation drive test.

Now the experiance of 12 years in trucks confuses me... having your CDL for only a year now. Im not questioning it... Im trying to think how they would evaluate it and make any determination about a training period.

I wouldnt sweat it. A reduced training period isnt a bad thing, it would be a team driving situation and the total dispatch miles would count towards the training milage required for upgrade... without it you would be stumbling around for a few weeks, trying to figure out how things work. (beyond the basic driving).

There are lots of simple little things you have to do to get re-imbursed for items and services you have to pay out-of-pocket cash for each week. There are things that are not cash, that get charged to the truck, and do come out of your settlement if you dont submit the correct reciept with the REQUIRED information. You dont want to get hit with a $200 plus lumper fee, because even though you got the reciept and submitted it, you failed to make sure it had all the required information.

Last night I showed an Owner operator who was hauling his first Prime load from a shipper on how to work the Reefer settings. In his case he is sharing a percentage of fuel costs for running the reefer. Correct temp is the easy part, having it in the correct mode takes less than 30 seconds and can make the difference in reducing his fuel bill over a longer period of time.

You said you are going company....Last thing... those training miles add up on your overall milage towards pay raises (Not paid Vacation, that accumulates from Upgrade to A seat) You can get a little ahead by accumulating twice as many miles (team milage while training) and only doing about half the driving. And you are gauranteed a minnimum of $600 per week (you dont qualify for benifts for the first 90 days upgraded or not, so your not taking a huge hit on pay if they make you train for a couple weeks) If you and your trainer run more than 5k miles your pay is switched to .12 per mile. If your trainer decideds to take a few days off and you dont, it may mean sitting in the truck, or your trainer has you come to his house like mine did, you still get paid that 600 min.

6. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    U2 EXIT......Are you seeing a shortage of freight. Are you siting a lot. and what kind of truck do you drive a century or did you get a cascadia i see a lot of prime cascadias. Thanks

7. Highgear

Jul 28, 2008
    Baltimore,Maryland
    Hey! Long story short..Started at trucking company Aug 1997 as a Dockworker..13 months later became driver, Have driven every since, 26,000lb Non Cdl Straight Trucks. They took me to take the Cdl B test 2 times but never taught me Pre-trip! Also was married w kids back then kept not being the right time to go to Cdl school.As time went on I knew it would not be good for me to go to A Cdl school because i was going to know most things about trucks..I just needed actual time behind the wheel of a tractor trailer, I would back them up, and fuel the tractors and straight trucks etc. So 12 years late..I left last April 2008 to get my Cdl A at CR England..only stayed with them 2 months( trainer had me falsifying my logs etc.) Took a little while off, then got a local job, worked that for 6 months, been off a little while again now, I have a local job offer to work for a former employer driving a straight truck 99% and Tractor trailer 1% of the time. I have offer from Prime and I knew I was leaving the other job to go back on the road because thats what I want to do! Anyway the 2 months was OTR.. The 6 months has been verified as local when Prime called, I delivered to a lot of states, Try driving around D.C. with a 53 footer! whew!! 300 miles a day..which that was more miles than any time i drove local so i put it down as OTR. Well you can see where i get the 8 months from but April 28 will be a whole year holding my Cdl. Prime Recruiter called yesterday, They have me going out with trainer for a month, 20,000 combined team miles, then i will be on my own! Start April 20th in Pittston,Pa. Thanks for the info!

8. Highgear

Jul 28, 2008
    Baltimore,Maryland
    Hey U2 Exit, I would also like to know if any of the solo company drivers get the Cascadia's? Look forward to your reply. Thanks!

9. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    They do... its the luck of the draw from the available pool of trucks. No selection, no choice as a company driver... they hand you a key and a truck number and you give it a very detailed "check out".

I have a Century... Its not a bad truck... I make my fuel bonus and dont have to worry about whether the fuel is ULSD not everytime I pull into a island.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  10. Highgear

Jul 28, 2008
    Baltimore,Maryland
    Thanks for the info! Appreciate it!

11. channel 19

channel 19 Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2009
    michigan
    cascadia black chrome rims white trailer alot prime drivers cascadia

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.