Prime lightweight trucks and leg room for taller drivers?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Cjboyer28, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Cjboyer28

Cjboyer28 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2018
    I was curious about the L/W trucks at prime..I'm 6,2 and have rode with my old man in many condos the space is already fairly cramped and I was wondering if taller guys mind the L/W? Also I know you can take the passenger seat out to put a fridge but is there any room to put a small tv or what do you guys do for entertainment when parked for the night?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    When I was with prime, if you were a large individual you could request a condo truck. But that also meant you lose out on like 5c a mile or something. Not sure if they still do it this way.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  4. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    U should've have Lawyered up....that's Height Discrimination

Ain't that so @shogun?

Woodys Thanks this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You wouldn't have liked the 70's Internationals cab-overs with 36" sleeper, runnin' team either ! Right ?

tscottme Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

LW trucks have no cabinets, no place to set anything down except the bunk, the floor, and the seats. You can set a laptop on your stomach while laying in bed and watch TV that way.

Search YouTube for John Ogren. He's a tanker driver for Prime. He has many videos including one which shows the inside of his LW truck. I think he's sleeps at home most nights of the week. IIRC he MIGHT sleep in the truck 1 or sometimes 2 nights in a week.

7. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Height discrimination and skinny discrimination. That's some serious lawsuit money!!!

In all seriousness, I would take the mini sleeper with the extra 5c/mi all day long. I did all 48 with the thing. I had an old pete 386 though and it at least had cabinet space. The freightliners don't look much more than a daycab. I'm also a small dude though so the small bunk was liveable for me.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  8. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    I’ve run my 36” bunk all over the place. Crap when i was leased up to LS i stayed out for three weeks. You learn to adjust, and yes pulling the passenger seat is the beat thing you can do. Omg it opens up so much room.

Just remember you have to laydown to get dressed and step outside to change your mind:)

9. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    My first truck was a Lightweight Pete 384 with a 39" sleeper and an 11 liter Cummins ISM. It was like a shoebox inside it did have some shelving but there was no room and you couldn't stand up. The fuel mileage wasn't all that great and the engine had NO power whatsoever it would look at a hill and slow down everyone would blow my doors off going uphill and everywhere else. And what I'd give to run one more load in that truck I loved it I miss it and even though it wasn't the best business decision there's times I wish I would have bought it. Mind you when I was assigned that truck I was fresh out of training and I thought having a smaller sleeper was going to be a large issue for me. I even tried explaining a BS story that I was claustrophobic yet the truck I enjoyed the most out of any in my career was easily the smallest and the slowest. Sometimes the things that you initially think are very important aren't.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    bryan21384 Thanks this.
  10. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Don't be a wussie. At least you had smartphones with unlimited internet, gps, Google maps with satellite views to plan ahead, Sirius radio, APU's, flatscreen TV's, PlayStation 4, ABS, power steering, modern suspension that doesn't beat you to death, a coffee maker, an inverter, a dorm refrigerator/freezer combo unit loaded with groceries and frozen dinners, a microwave, a lap top, a bluray player, about 300 movies and every seasion of all your favorite TV shows on disk.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im pretty close to that. I have had no trouble in the older Reos or autocars and the like. But getting on in years I need me the condo.

With the proper sleeper you can put a fridge inside a cabinet there, a TV here and everything else all over. Just CAT the whole thing to find your Tare.

I ran a small Sanyo Dual voltage truckstop TV from about the 1998 era until it finally burned out two years ago. It survived 9-11 with the loss of the two speakers when the towers fell with that deep bass over live television. Speakers were replaced. Entertainment was limited because getting rest was priority.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.