Prime non compete contract

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by 518buttcercup, Nov 8, 2017.

1. 518buttcercup

518buttcercup Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2017
    can anyone post a copy of the non compete contract from Prime? Though I kept all of my paperwork, I must gave misplaced or lost my copy.

Not disputing or arguing the tuition money owed. I did get my CDL. Like many others experienced, my TNT time was terrible and I got off the truck. I wish I hadn't let my frustrations get the best of me but here I am and I need to find gainful employment, I need to know what I can and can't look for. Would rather not call Prime to discuss the situation.

C'est la vie, eh.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    If you are a California resident they are non-enforceable clauses, Courts took of that. Other states are case by case. Basically it states you can't work for any of their competitors, refer or flatbed in the lower 48, and tanker in the northeast. I had 2 trainers for TNT, neither of which should have been training, they were more interested in the revenue. Just apply, someone will hire you, but just be prepared for the mega's to say no.

4. 518buttcercup

Apr 28, 2017
  5. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I am not an Attorney, so take internet advice with a grain of salt. In NY I believe they are useless, they cannot bar you from furthering your career. You cannot however, divulge any process, or how Prime does business, or who their customers are. I doubt Prime will go after you for non-compete, they just want their $$$ for your training, which you said you have no issue repaying. Having said that, I would not expect Knight, JB, Wil-Trans, basically 90% of the mega's out there to hire you, not because they can't win a non-compete, but because they want to discourage anyone from jumping ship, so neither will touch the other. There have been some on here that jumped ship and went to another mega, just can't remember who they were, but if you search, you should be able to find them.
    I am not sure what happened during your TNT, mine was not stellar, and I was just counting miles. Prime used to have a decent training program, but it is not what it used to be, mine were both fleece operators behind on bills and upside on their leases, and were just looking for someone who could put miles on the truck for them. Not all of the Trainers are like that, there are some good ones, I know because I reached out to them and they gave me some sound advice, and helped me through a few issues.

518buttcercup Thanks this.
  6. 518buttcercup

Apr 28, 2017
    Thank you, mine was a lease operator as well. It started with sleeping in the top bunk while the truck was moving, and generally progressed to a point where I felt his instruction was encouraging me to be unsafe on multiple levels. it was a 'figure it out' style of training and I felt sort of cheated about that. Even with backing, on the pad I had to take time outside of the time my trainer scheduled and ask other trainers to help me

I am eternally grateful for the two trainers who let me piggyback their students lessons and extended their pad time from 7 to midnight to help me with a couple passes in the alley dock and parallel parking maneuvers. It says a lot about Prime when they DO have trainers who have nothing to gain, but will still help someone else's student.

Honestly, the day I decided I wanted to get off the truck was because I was so sick of the conflicting #####ing. I could take the exit to the Springfield 16 different times at 16 different speeds and it was always either too fast or too slow. Nothing I did, and I mean NOTHING was ever right. I stopped twice in one night to take half hour naps because I was fatigued and even though we were on time for our appointment, I was still scolded for it. It wasn't habitual for me to be fatigued at night, it was just one of those days. I was just over it at that point and got off the truck. There's sooo much more but I don't want to turn this into a ##### fest anymore than it already is. I'm thankful for the experience I got at Prime and don't believe them to be a poor employer, it just did not work out.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  7. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't know a single poster on this forum that will make you defend the choice of pulling an 80,000lb rig off the road because you feel you're unsafe to drive it. Twice in one night. Big whoop. I don't care if you have to pull over 50 times, don't wreck the truck, don't kill anyone and don't damage the freight. You do those 3 things 90% of trucking companies won't tell you a #### thing.

The ones telling you crap are sitting in the safety of an office looking at a computer screen with pandora playing over their headset. It won't be their job or their ### on the line if anything happens.

I told a driver manager to basically get bent one time when I pulled over for a full 3 hour rest in the middle of a run because I was so tired I was literally nauseated. I woke up to find a nastygram on the qualcomm. Lets just say my reply to him was firm, to the point and didn't require him to reply.

I was NEVER told anything again.

518buttcercup Thanks this.
  8. 518buttcercup

Apr 28, 2017
    That's how I felt. Sorry, not sorry! Yes, it took me a little extra time with my added stops, on top of 30 miles of small towns/low speed limits, and engine brake restrictions.

Trip planning? You don't know where you're going?
    Need to slide your tandems? Better google the formula.
    Need help backing? Just let me do it, I don't have time for you to be jerking the truck around trying to figure it out.
    First day PSD and we're at the shipper? Go in by yourself. If you can't figure it out you have problems.

It was the same thing with turns at the bottom of grades, ramps, fog, or any other situation that requires you to slow down. If I didn't go the exact suggested speed posted, I was promptly informed. You know, it kills the fuel economy every time you accelerate. I can understand needing to be confident, but you don't just come off a simulator and have a feel for how a truck and trailer handles.
    Then there was the issue of needing to use the restroom, or taking a shower more than once every 4 days.
    Anyway...lol

9. Kjones678

Kjones678 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I’m in the same boat with Steven’s Transport. Please tell me if you found a company to work for?

10. Dena513

Dena513 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Did anyone ever tell you how to get a copy of the non compete contract?

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yes, from your file box from the copy from when you you signed a several thousand dollar contract....
    Other then that you can as your manager. They might be generous and allow you to read their copy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.