Prime Trainer Program

Discussion in 'Prime' started by mikel, Jan 21, 2008.

1. mikel

mikel Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Springfield,MA
    Does anyone have info on primes training program? I do have my cdl already and waiting for the go ahead from the recruiter. Any feedback on the training program?

Does anyone have info about the training program at prime ? I do have my cdl already just not that much experience. Any feedback on the training threre?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mickey

Mickey Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2008
    San Antonio TX
    my brother is with thier trainign program right now.

his deal was as follows.

he went in with no CDL. he had to go threw a week of classes.
    they then put him in with one trainer to get his permit and once he was abel to test off his truck (certin amount of weeks and proof he could drive) He then transferd to a diffrent trainers truck. (on it now) For up to 60.000 miles

Once this is done it will go on to the next phase. i dont knwo what that is right now.

but that will get you started

4. mikel

mikel Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Springfield,MA
    Thank you, Does he have any complaints about the trainer or being stuck out on the road for so long? I do know you dont get home till the training is done or if the trainer goes home for time off . if you talk to him keep me posted if you could thanks again.

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I got my CDL last August through a vocational school, and came to orientation at Prime in September. I recently finished my training, was promoted to A-seat (solo qualified), and am now on the road solo in my own truck. Prime’s system worked for me, and I feel they treat their drivers VERY well. I think Prime’s training is very good, and better than most companies. I’ve seen other people driving for other companies “thrown into the deep end,” on the road and struggling without enough training or support.

The deal with trainers is that you are moving into his “house.” You are a guest, and need to treat the situation that way. Additionally, you are his employee, and he pays you. That gives you rights under federal law, and you both sign a training agreement with Prime. You can always change trainers if the situation or personalities aren’t right, just by discussing it with your fleet manager (dispatcher). In a lot of ways you are at the mercy of your trainer… that’s just the way it is at any company. At the same time, all of your training is practical. It may take longer than at some other companies… it depends on how long it takes you and your trainer to go for 60,000 miles.

Everyone always asks some variation of, “how long will I be stuck on the road?” That depends on a lot of things… some of which you control. In terms of training (coming in with a CDL to start), it’s based on 60,000 miles to upgrade to A-seat, and another 20,000 before you can think about leasing (if that’s what you want to do). Practically, as a driver, 4 to 5 weeks is really a minimum. It may take a load or two to get you back into the freight lanes and into the good-paying loads. Then you need to make enough money to pay for your current bills, and enough to pay for your time off. If that doesn’t seem like something you can do, then perhaps you should really be asking yourself if a career as a driver is for you. That doesn’t mean you can’t drive for a week or two, and then go home. It just means that you aren’t going to make a lot of money.

Ironpony
    Prime Tractor 64061

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  6. mikel

mikel Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Springfield,MA
    Good advise IP, I want to make the money and know I do have to stay out there to do that .But as a trainee I didnt know what thw real story is I have read some stories about some trainers that I dont want to run into. The way you made it sound is that the trainers are o/o I was under the impression they were company drivers..?.....But all in all I'm glad you had a positive experiance..good luck out there.

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    At Prime they can be O/O, but are most likely lease operators who are classified as independent contractors. That could be the same story at other companies, but probably includes company drivers as well.

Ironpony

8. mikel

mikel Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Springfield,MA
    I haven't heard many bad things about Prime .I dont want to lease ,just would like to be a company driver to get the expierance under my belt . Who knows what might happen .It's not easy to get a job just out of driving school. I thought this would the best (safest way) to go and learn the ropes. So I think I will be going to Primes orientation soon.

9. mikel

mikel Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Springfield,MA
    Does anyone have stories about Prime's training,
    or recomendations about working for Prime?

10. Semi-Retired

Semi-Retired Light Load Member

Hey guys, Glad to hear you are looking into Prime as a company for the future. I just now got out of class where I am now trained to train people like yourself. The time that you spend with the trainer is going to depend on the time you have behind the wheel. The first 4 weeks is basically so that you can go from a permit to a CDL holder. Because you have that already then you are going to basically test out to make sure that your school gave you proper training and you are then ready to be a company driver. If you want to be an o/o then you can go on the road with one of us for 60,000 miles so that you are eligible to do so. My job at that point would be to teach you what you need to do in order to run a successful business. I would help you with what you still need to freshen up on from the initial training but for the most part I would teach you how to rake in the *$$$*:yes2557: This is an outstanding company to work for and usually what they tell you, you can go to the bank with. You can also separate yourself from the trainer but try not to do it in a way that you would not want done to you. Just do it mutual as a conflict of personalities that way no one gets a bad report and we move on. If I have a bad egg in the truck then I am just going to get the DM to put me on home time and another trainer will pick up on the trainee so that I do not have to make him feel embarrassed about it or anything. And we both get on with our lives. I wish you all the luck in the world. Its a whole lot of fun out here and a whole lot of $$$ if you do it right.

Be good and be safe
    Glenn
    Prime 67133:biggrin_25519:

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  11. jbrown

jbrown Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2007
    cullman,al

if your not a recruiter and then you must be a real good trainer just a thought:biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.