prime trucking.

Discussion in 'Prime' started by squatch, Aug 20, 2009.

1. popmartian

popmartian Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Some of the people who may be considering working for Prime may benefit from my experience and other will not. On my way back to Dallas, I stopped at the Petro in Joplin to document my trip up to springfield. During my break at the TS, I cound not help but notice how many guys (truckers) who came in to eat the Buffet. Nine out of ten were heavier than myself. I enjoyed my cup of coffee and posted my story.

Sometimes we need to listen to what others are saying. It is up to the one listening to sort out what is useful and what is not.

Truckermike; You say the industry is changing. And you are correct. Also the CSA has not addressed BMI as being a requirement for screening drivers. It does state that a company or driver may be Un-Fit to operate a CMV. That can be confusing because we are not allowed to drive fatiqued or sick. but further investigation will reveal it really applies to the points on a Company or a Driver. The rules on the DOT medical long form clearly cover who can and who cannot qualify. So far there is no mention of the obstrucion condition. One day if may become part of the DOT test.

There is always going to be a gray area where its not clear and a study is needed when a driver is between 30 and 40 on the BMI index. Being of sound mind and of reasonable intelligence, LOL! My intent is to offer a heads up to a few guys who like me have some extra pounds to loose. Prime probably should be more assertive during the recruiting process so others like me who are dieting and working on a wellness program can avoid the time and cost involved when flagged by a Prime Doctor.

Principles not Politics. It's problems like these that need to be addressed by the industry as a whole. Prime is addressing health and wellness issues becasue it is prudent. They even offer inhouse testing.

But at the end of the day, I am responsible for my health and my well being.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    revslev and 123456 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    They probably didnt expect you to gain 10lbs from the weight you quoted them over the phone back on Jan. 3.

You knew you were boarderline. They told you about apnea screening. At the time you thought you were ok.

No one was hiding any info... Its all here on this board. Its been discussed around here ad nauseum... not only in Prime forums, but in the general forum areas as well.

Please note: The last posts on these threads are within the last 9 months... You resurected this thread 3 days ago where the last post before yours was over 16 months old. So I know you can do a search and these threads could have been found. BTW Ive posted in these threads. I and others even mention the neck size portion of the screening.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...t-people-are-discriminated-againts-prime.html

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...th-corner/79403-driving-with-sleep-apnea.html

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ner/107695-body-mass-index-bmi-neck-size.html

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ions/105706-new-bmi-body-mass-regulation.html

4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Frankly, I can't blame any carrier screening applicants for sleep apnea at this point. All it takes is a fatal accident (we all know who will be blamed - the trucker and carrier whether blame is deserved or not...) that can be at all attributed to fatigue. The attorneys like sharks in chummed water will be all over any driver with even the slightest hint that he is at risk for sleep apnea - has it or no. All it takes is even a hint at one's BMI or neck-size being close to the limit - and no sleep study done to screen for it.

And the carrier will be labeled as negligent for knowingly hiring a "dangerously sick driver" - and placing him in a position that puts the motoring public at risk.

Ka-ching! Court finds for the plaintiff.

Dix_ Thanks this.
  5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    That's funny,

coming from prime !!!!

6. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Last time I was pulled in for an inspection, the DOT Bear did a quick walk around, and credited me for a level 2. He said, "There's no need to do any more, you guys are one of the safest carriers out here."

So why don't you go soak your head for awhile? Its getting pretty big.

one37 Thanks this.
  7. Dix_

Dix_ Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2010
    W.Poland, ME
    Coming as I do from the state that brought you Daphne Izer & PATT... I can sure understand that logic.

The carriers are just being more proactive in covering thier butts... the bigger culprits are in Washington, State Legislatures, & a law office near you.

one37 Thanks this.
  8. sydsdriver

sydsdriver Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2009
    In the truck
    I personally would want to continue to treat my sleep apnea, whether my employer requires it or not. If you are diabetic and just ignore the problem, it does not go away. The problem continues, and damages your body. Sleep apnea is the same way, it can cause other health problems. Aside from causing drowsiness. It can cause, among other things, high blood pressure. I was happy to avoid blood pressure meds, just by using a machine to improve the quality of my sleep.

To ignore one's sleep apnea, or the indicators that one could have it, does not prove that person is a "free spirit" determining his own destiny. It simply serves to show that he has his head in the sand pretending that the problem will go away.

one37 Thanks this.
  9. mandy77578

mandy77578 Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2010
    texas
    i am considering going to work for prime running team with a friend .Are they getting alot of miles ?

10. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Yup, we sure are. Even right now in what is usually considered the "slow" part of the year.

:biggrin_25519:

one37 Thanks this.
  11. tazaaa

tazaaa Light Load Member

im waiting to find the money tree to pay for school , but after school looking at us express or werner or prime . :biggrin_2556:

been driving 22 foot flatbed tow trucks for 12 years and looking to make a change to get my cdl and go otr :biggrin_25514:

look to get other truckers advice on to which company is good and what compans that provide cdl training as well incase i cant come up with money to pay for school my self :biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.