Probably a dumb question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RStewart, Jul 6, 2018.

1. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Ahh yes very true. I was thinking only of tires on the deck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    If you run in winter the aluminum deck is going to be pretty slippery... not an issue for me as I don’t run in that crap but you may.

Also, you should look at having D rings in the deck at minimum- they will help you tie equipment down easier. Also, if need to haul things in cradles - being able to nail to the deck is a plus.

I would also inquire about cross member spacing - hard rubber wheeled equipment like forklifts will want to punch holes in the deck.

I don’t run step deck but in my mind being the lightest spec is not always the best spec. I would also make sure I had twist locks for containers just for ease.

Oxbow, 1951 ford, LoneCowboy and 3 others Thank this.
  4. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I know you don't pull a step. I've seen your set up, both here and I saw you running down the road the other day. First time I'd seen you on the road. I've read a lot of your posts and comments on the HH section as well. I know that you know what you're talking about. That's not to say none of the other guys don't. The regulars in this section and the HH section are all very knowledgeable.

I try to avoid that wintery crap the best I can. Lol. The trailers I've been looking at have chain pulls which do about the same as the D rings. And they have wood strips for nailer boards to nail to. I will pay attention to cross member spacing. Some I've seen have 12in spacing.

I totally agree that a properly speced trailer is better than just lighter. It does seem that some are overly concerned about weight and being able to haul 48-50k lbs. I guess that's why I was more concerned as well.

I appreciate all you guys coming along and helping me.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. @RStewart when you have time roam around our flatbed section.

Look at the post flatbed load pics v2.0
    Look and read our. Where is everyone now #5

I don't have the links right off hand.

You will see what we pull how our equipment is layed out in a real world basis.

1951 ford and RStewart Thank this.
  6. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Will do. I've been through part of the pic post.

peterbilt_2005 Thanks this.
  7. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    Exactly . Most of our outbound freight is light 13k is about as heavy as it gets. Just did a 900 mile trip with 975lbs on the deck. Coming back is usually different The ironic thing is the outbound pays two to three times what the heavy stuff does

peterbilt_2005 and RStewart Thank this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    If you buy aluminum you get the difference in price back when you sell it from what i can see. I paid more for my big bubba than say a combo transcraft that I was looking at. Same years (07). Transcraft with heavy beam was $14lk and the aluminum bubba was $22k.

I bought the aluminum and don’t regret it one bit. It is however a highboy flat and not a step. I also work in the Midwest. If I was in Texas or California mostly the combo probly would of worked out just fine?

RStewart and peterbilt_2005 Thank this.
  9. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    I've often thought the perfect step deck floor would be apitong outside of the rails on the lower deck. With aluminum between the rails and on whole top deck. Save weight and be a tough where you need it.

Oxbow, RStewart, johndeere4020 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Judging by the price of used trailers you're probably right. Lol.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.