Problems with a truck?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by neodesigno, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Normal loads of ISO containers, are 20’ or 40’, they are usually loaded onto a special trailer that is made to haul nothing but containers. In many situations, you dead head to another ISO loading facility or port. So dead head miles are a money problem, unless the company you’re hauling for has a pay arrangement to cover dead head mileage.

I’ve also seen containers loaded on a standard flatbed trailer, that were not built to carry standard ISO boxes. These trailers do not have the lock down fittings found on a container trailer. They are usually secured with chains and straps to the flatbed. But the advantage flatbeds have, is they can find a load without having to return to the container port, so much less deadhead to the truck and driver.

To me, I think the purpose built ISO frames are safer, then a standard flatbed. ISO frames utilize the same lockdown pins as used on a ship.
    Just my opinion. Hope this helps.

neodesigno Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    You
    are
    Right
    about
    that..!!!!

4. mugurpe

mugurpe Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    check out a company called the horizontal lift company
    put that on a container chassis that can be pulled by a semi, one with minimal tongue.

that's my best guess.

neodesigno Thanks this.
  5. neodesigno

neodesigno Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Savannah, GA
    Thanks!
    What is the average time you spend in the cab so a container can be loaded/unloaded?
    Does it take a long time?

6. neodesigno

neodesigno Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Savannah, GA
    What is the average time you spend in a cab so a container can be loaded/unloaded?

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Waiting for the paper work, waiting for inspection, waiting for the gate in and out waiting some more who the heck knows how long in a place like Baltimore. The actual doing container on and off takes a couple moments plus a walk around for the 4 hooks and a little longer for inspection of reefer cabling to be sure you are not dragging any.

There was a time I could get into Chester PA which is a container port in it's own right and out in 45 minutes complete with new box, just chassis or even swapped to a different one. It's a smaller operation compared to Baltimore.

Railyards are little bit different. It does not take too long. You do have to be on time. That ship or train is leaving with or without. You better have that box there. Even if you pulled in at 5 am. You are there. That is what counts might be noon or mid PM before you get going. Stash the box in the yard and attempt delivery in the morning wherever it might be going.

The worst for me was Norfolk. Get down there at 7 am. Box is gone. Now we wait. It will be after 6Pm before we head back to Baltimore with a chassis at minimum. A box as a bonus. And this is in a daycab back in my time. One of the biggest reasons i got out of that line of work. Too much white line fever that put lives at risk and I was only 21 at that time too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.