Procedure for keeping truckers safe from covid-19

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Diantane, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    I've created a procedure for keeping myself free from being infected by covid-19. Since I can't wash my hand much driving a tractor-trailer, I had to find another way.

Before I go into that I'd like to point out that almost every trucker I see isn't doing anything to protect themselves. It's just business as usual. The experts predicted that the mortality rate (deaths) will be 3.4% of the world population. This year (2020) this population is about 7.8 billion. So 3.4% is approximately 265,200,000 dead from covid-19 within the next 18 months (this means billions will be infected). This will put a serious damper on trucking and the employment of those that are not infected.

To protect myself I bought disposable nitrite powder and latex free gloves from Amazon. They come 100 gloves to a box (50 pairs). The box is only $7 (14 cents per pair). Each time I get to a shipper or consignee I put on the gloves. This keeps my hands free from direct contact of door knobs, railings, pens, etc. When I get back to the tractor to move it to a dock I put on a pair of clean leather gloves (over the disposable gloves) to keep anything I touched away from the inside of my truck (do not use these leather gloves for anything else. When covid-19 is over, discard these gloves). Once I'm done with the shipper/consignee I remove the disposable gloves and discard them. I also use a 60+% alcohol based hand sanitizer for good measure.

Some people I've seen are wearing masks. Since covid-19 is not airborne, these masks only keep those infected from infecting others (by sneezing or coughing).

If you live in denial and ignore the quick spread of covid-19 (like 99% of all truckers I see), you might be infected pretty fast (especially when hundreds of millions are infected as well). There will be no vaccine for one to one and a half years. If you become infected, you will never drive a truck again. Protect yourself ASAP.

tscottme, roshea, 6wheeler and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Well ur plan will fail if u use those gloves to open ur truck door and handle everything inside all them germs are now inside ur truck. Not to mention all over ur shoes as well.

snowwy, LoSt_AgAiN, tscottme and 7 others Thank this.
  4. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Your reasoning is flawed..The virus is airborne when someone infected sneezes or coughs.

Droplets have also been shown to be airborne for up to 3 hours.

Also it has been found in feces..keep that in mind the next time you enter a restroom. With a stomach virus it is most important not to share a bathroom since it is highly contagious..Just food for thought.

Remember, this virus is new and we’re just starting to learn how it can be transmitted.

Lol, remember, when you get a whiff of someone’s farts it’s actually microscopic poop particles entering your nose :)
    Could it be transmitted that way? possibly..

5. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    At least he is doing something , to the best of his knowledge, to protect himself and others . That is all he can do until new information comes. So, if he gets infected, he will look back and most likely he will
    Say. I did the best I could . Which is better than nothing .

truckdriver31 and magoo68 Thank this.
  6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    not airborne: lol its the main reason we are in this $&@ to start with.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  7. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    C296065E-1978-42A8-B8F0-3CD334493F42.jpeg AD29FFA3-D09E-4EEA-8D23-EEA2D71480C0.jpeg 4247049C-94D2-4ADE-9AF6-E9B233DD5B67.jpeg EF7FD3B3-73DC-4498-B87C-5C81DC659617.jpeg 3 oz of bleach per one gallon of water. put it in a $1.00 spray bottle. spray shoes, handles, gloves and any contact points. this has been used for years and years. i got less then $4 in total set up. when i must go shopping. i wear 7mm gloves from habor freight and medical mask. i had to trade 7 11oz bottles of hand soap for 20 mask. i buy all my stuff for 2-3 weeks. come home and get wife to get stuff out of the truck. thats once i spray handles etc. then i go around back and take a decon shower with dawn antibacterial dish soap. hair and all. you will not enter my home until you go threw decon shower wash first. its hot and cold water too

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    chimbotano Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I personally do what I can however there is no mask on earth that will stop the actual virus particle from passing through. The ones we use are rated to stop TB particles from passing through and thats going to just have to be enough. We do have a "Bigger" mask capable of filtering but its not the time yet to break them out.

The virus lives 4 hours on copper, hours in the air, a day on cardboard (Amazon warehouses are now up to 10 plus with infected staff...) up to two days on stainless steel. Certain disinfectants can and does kill the virus as shown by EPA. The cruise ship Princess was shown to have active viruses on surfaces up to 17 days prior to cleaning in a recent survey.

The big problem is if you are infected, you continue to be infectious long before you show symptoms. And you infect infect and infect unaware until YOU get sick weeks later.

At some point this virus will be defeated. Vaccines, Antigens and a couple of really exotic and special medical tools will be put inside humans to engage the virus in battle and it will be victory. But until then... the infections continue.

If I was active over the road and sent into NYC with a load that NYC has to have such as say high dollar pharmacy loads like we did for them specifically after 9-11 happened, we loaded the trailer full in Detriot at mckesson there and were tasked to go into Linfield CT MCKesson with a volumed out trailer asap so that NYC can use these medicines with so many being sick, hurt and soon. We were happy to make it happen.

Thats what we are as truckers, if the load has to be somewhere even into ground zero, you go.

However.

This outbreak is what I call it now, has shown that truckers are disposable. If one got sick and must be removed from the tractor, there is 50 more in orientaiton ready to go out and make .34 a mile. In possibly a infectious truck cab. Thats where bleach and other solutions are brought into play to destroy the virus inside the cab all over. The matress removed, replaced with a new one and so on. You are going to be excluded anyway when you arrive at a shipper and get treated rather badly while told to stay in your cab because YOU are considered infectious. and there is no way to prove otherwise.

At some point all of this will blow over. But I feel strongly that we are not going to return to the Tralala happy go lucky America that we were before this outbreak before November of last year. Whatever we become later this year is going to be permanent. And not all of it is going to be good.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  9. truckdriver31

Sep 18, 2013
    oh and by the way. they approved 2.2 trillion dollar package

x1Heavy and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  10. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    New data suggests the virus may live longer on hard surface s than previously thought. It was found on shelves of a Cruise ship

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Not really. Some RNA was, but not anything alive to actually infect anyone.

Bean Jr. and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.