Proof of citizenship?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by MegaX, Mar 4, 2013.

  1. MegaX

    MegaX Bobtail Member

    Mar 4, 2013
    Hey guys, seeking advice here. Do most companies require you to be a u.s citizen before working for them? What about the company sponsored schools? I was born over-seas, but i'm now a u.s citizen through my parents. The only way i can really prove this is to get a certificate of citizenship, which will take about 6 months to get? I don't want to wait that long to get a driving job. I can't get a passport because i need the certificate of citizen first. So what are my options? Any suggestions? Maybe find a company that don't require this?
  2. critters

    critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

    Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    I think they all require this now gunna need to get that paperwork started.
  3. sazook

    sazook Road Train Member

    Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    Any employer must get proof that you are eligible to work in the US and fill out an I-9 form.

    If you look at the last page of that you will either need a single document from column A, or a document from both B and C.
  4. Chinatown

    Chinatown Road Train Member

    Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you're not a U.S. citizen you must have documentation authorizing you to work.
    You can probably get a job that doesn't require TWIC or hazmat. Try & see what happens.
    You have a Social Security number, so try.
  5. NavigatorWife

    NavigatorWife Road Train Member

    Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Do you also have your birth certificate, it has to be one with the raised seal on it, not just a hospital copy like they use to give out here a long time ago. You need this to get your drivers license, do you have a state drivers license already?? and if so hard did you get it?? I know years ago I managed to let mine regular drivers license (the only one I have) expire and we moved back to Indiana at this tie; I had to bring in my birth certificate once again to apply for a new license.

    You will need a social security card that has not been laminated, only the paper will do; if laminated you can request a new one from the social securtiy office, it takes a couple of weeks to get in.

    Were your parents born here or did they obtain citizenship later on. Not sure of the legal stuff here, if you were a military brat after you are older you have to decide what is your citizenship is going to be.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted