Proper Battery Wiring Configuration

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by joecitizen, Dec 28, 2009.

1. joecitizen

joecitizen Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    The batteries on my '93 FLD120 with an N14 went dead, so i took them out to have them charged. Well, stupid me, I did not take note or pictures of how all the cable were connected. I believe I have them wired correctly, but when I hit the starter button a huge spark jumped almost to the rear wheels. Makes me believe I wired them wrong.

I added a picture to my profile album

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Invalid Album specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    A spark may not mean improper wiring. It usually means that the connection was not tight. Put a load on a loose wire and it will spark when it finally makes a connection.

Check all your cables are tight, they should not wiggle. If they wiggle tighten again.

5. joecitizen

Mar 15, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    sorry notarps...it works fine for me, but then again it is my profile. Ideas that I can do to show the picture? I dont have enough posts for a pm.

6. joecitizen

Mar 15, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    lovesthedrive, thanks i will double check the connection, but i believe i have them tight enough. any chance you tried to view the image i have in on of my albums in my profile? thx...

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    At the batteries just make sure that all the positives (+) are hooked together, and all the negatives (-) are hooked together and you should be fine. Make sure the batteries are all in facing the same way. Most trucks have two big positive cables running from the batteries to the starter, one big negative to the starter and one big negative to the frame. I think Freightliner just uses the negative cable to the frame. Make sure all your connections are tight. I would think if you made a wrong connection at the batteries and caused a dead short you would have called 911 already. Since that hasn't happened the only other mistake I can see you making is having a battery in backwards and having a positive of one battery connected to the negative of another which makes a 24 volt circuit, which would explain the sparking at the starter. Be very careful! There is a huge safety factor here!!! Batteries can explode. If you don't find a problem right away, get someone to help you there before anyone gets hurt!
    Good luck!

8. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    add to that if they are not in correctly lots of very expensive parts can get fried

9. joecitizen

Mar 15, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    heavyd & gearjammer...thx...

the spark came from one of the negative posts from one of the batteries (going from left to right, it would be the first negative terminal on the first battery). all of the positive terminals are on the same side. usually a spark occures when the last lead is connected, this didnt happen. the only spark was when i hit the starter button.

i too am concerned about blowing out other expensive electronics...

10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Yep that connection may either be a bad cable or a loose cable. Also check the batteries for positive on the post. You do realize you can buy a right or left battery? The right or left just means that the positive has been moved. The parts store may have asked you about it.

11. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    You could try a couple photobucket shots and post them in one of the truck question forums. Maybe that will work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.