Proper or best way to ask truckers to buy there free shower.

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by FordExped, Sep 6, 2014.

1. FordExped

FordExped Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Greetings and thanks for reading.

I am currently homeless I have a job I will be hopefully starting soon and obviously I will need to be clean when I show up to work everyday as I will be in a position it wouldn't be good to be dirty. There is a Petro truck stop near here and I payed for the shower but I couldn't afford to do that everyday.

Long story short I have seen it mentioned a lot of truckers don't use there free shower or have extra tickets and so on. I have a cb in my vehicle and want to know how I should go about asking to purchase at a discounted rate shower tickets once a day as well as what's a fair price? Anything else I should know about asking Truckers or how to not inconvenience the Truckers or Truck Stop by doing this every day? I appreciate any responses and thank you again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Sorry about you being homeless,hopefully not for long.What type of job will you be doing?There's a lot of drivers that would be more then happy to give you their shower coupon for free.Just get on the cb and ask them.There's no need to offer to pay for it.Right now that's money you can't afford.Save what you have for other things till u get the job and back on your feet.

4. FordExped

FordExped Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Its actually a security guard job as I was once a supervisor in a security related position. I won't go into more detail about my position as nobody like a pity party and I do my best to stay upbeat and be a good person to everyone I meet. It won't be for long about 2 weeks as my friend of a friend has a room I will be able to rent then of my job comes through (the background takes 3 days to 7 days).

I wonder if its right to ask for free tickets though. I guess just get on the CB and say I was wondering if anyone had a spare shower ticket for the Petro showers? i don't want truckers to think I'm a leech and would be more than willing to pay 5 bucks a day or something to be clean as of helps keep me in a good mood and the privacy is nice when your sleeping in your car every night.

edit: thank you patty for the kind words

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Nobody will think you're a leach.I use to hear drivers on the cb all the time asking for free shower coupons.Chances are even if you did offer to pay for it that driver would just give you the shower couon and you're welcome for those kind words.I can be nice every now and again,you just caught me on and off night,lol.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Truckstop chains today use loyalty cards to manage showers and points and as such the driver has to frequent a kiosk inside the store to get a lot of things done. I've been hit up for showers at the kiosk while I was getting my shower assignment numerous times. I don't mind if I have extras accumulated providing them one if they ask politely ... it's a shower they're asking for, not "beer money".

I'd venture to say at least half of the drivers out there could spare a shower credit, having accumulated many. However, like with Loves, they have "diamond" and "Platinum" levels that can be reached, which put a driver at "unlimited showers" for that month. HOWEVER, the system will only allow one shower credit PER DAY to be used, so that could be an issue in some cases.

Good luck and best wishes.

7. FordExped

FordExped Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Thank you much appreciated. I drove over there last might but since it was so busy with a wait on the shower I decided to wait until morning. This morning once waking up I got on the CB and asked of anyone had a spare shower ticket they wanted to sell. Took about 1 or 2 minutes and someone came back and said were was I at
    I explained I was a four wheeler (I believer what regular drivers are called) and I meet him at the entrance to the shop. He got me a ticket and refused my 5 bucks he said he was just here for coffee and gas. I asked if I could at least buy his coffee and he said sure. So I was happy to be able to pay back his kindness in a small way. Thanks all for your help! I feel a bit awkward trying to get on the CB as you guys use so much lingo but its nice to listen and the kindness I have been shown is a great reminder of what makes humans so special on this planet. Maybe the best way I can pay back truckers is to promote understanding of the hard work you men and women do as well as safe driving around your heavy vehicles. Thanks for all the replies.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    See we're not so bad in fact some of us are the nicest humanitarians on the planet but most perceieve us as scum.You'll meet a lot of truckers like the one that gave you his shower.

9. FordExped

FordExped Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2014
    I think that's humans in general really just as with apples as they say a few bad apples ruins tons the bunch. After my shower I chatted with some truckers outside. Just that morning one had let a lady left by her ex with nothing but the clothes on her back use his phone to call family and get a way home. He felt bad because when during the night she had knocked on his door he thought she knocked for another reason and had turned her away. But I never thought truckers were bad people I had family members who were truckers when I was young so maybe I'm in the minority of the general public? Thanks again for everyone kindness when it's all said and done I think I might have to make a web page to thank the truckers who have helped me and shared my story so more understand how many of you are great people just like everyone else.

10. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    This might be tricky explaining to someone unfamiliar with the concept, but another option is a "team shower". If you take that printed coupon up to the counter and ask for a team shower, they'll print an additional coupon for another shower for free. This is how trainees and team drivers take showers every day, so it's nothing out of the ordinary to them, but some lifetime solo drivers might think you're trying to offer them a bit too much company in the shower.

It costs the driver helping you out nothing if they were going in for a shower anyway, so you can feel less obligated to return the favor.

11. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    I was homeless once..
    Keep your head up and believe in the lord jesus.
    Where are you? We can get a bit of help your way.
    Blessings

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.