Proposed tax cut for O/O's...?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by OLDSKOOLERnWV, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    The Trump plan is just the initial proposal. We'll see how much it gets changed after it gets funneled thru the congress. I watched the entire presentation that was given the other day by the two guys heading DT's tax agenda. Overall, the plan looks pretty darn good. But we all know that is just the start of the negotiation. Lots of battles coming. That 15% corporate tax, we will be lucky if it gets down to 20%. And who knows where the caps will be on the income tax brackets of 15%, 25%, and 35%. Where the income knocks someone into the next tax bracket will have to be seen.

And in this proposal, a lot of personal deductions will go bye-bye. They made that clear. The only personal deductions that they left in place was mortgage interest deduction and charitable contributions. So while the tax rates are going down, the deductions are going away so that some folks will not see any reduction in actual taxes.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    So in other words just a shell game. I'd rather keep as is and take deductions.

4. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Most of these things are shell games. Always look behind the proposal and see what they are really up to. Unfortunately, rags like Overdrive just spewed out the talking points and didn't really expound on what these guys said in the press conference. It is probably on YouTube somewhere and you can see the entire proposal presentation. And then you will see the shell game in action.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    People in higher tax brackets are going to love this. I guess I need to work at getting into a higher bracket.

back street slider Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This is what Reagan did in the 80's, made it sound like we were getting such a good deal out of it but in reality taxes didn't go down for the average person like they were expected.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  7. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Actually, according to the proposal the higher income folks are not going to see much, if any tax break. They might actually get hit for more. The top bracket is 35%, down from 39%, but the amount to make that will kick you into the top bracket is going to be much lower than the current $400,000 income level. Not specified outright, but insiders have said that DT has proposed making $200,000 the new level to hitting the top bracket. When you combine that with many personal deductions going bye-bye, the top income earners may be screaming a little.

Everything I heard in the presentation of the tax plan really does seem to favor the middle income and lower folks. But it is just a proposal. If it gets all messed up, you know who to blame.... the congress. You know, those people that are called "representatives" of the people but are in fact representatives of various interests that may not necessarily be aligned with the "people". After all, congress writes tax law, the president doesn't. DT, Reagan, or any other president can only tell congress what they want. Whether the president gets his wishes is another story.

8. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Doubling the married deduction is nice.. We'll see if that one makes it through..

9. Itsaham

Itsaham Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Your correct. As a company driver I stand to loose over $20 k in deductions so I urge all company drivers write your congressmen to oppose the Trump Tax Plan in its current form. It is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Non business such as company drivers which comprise most of the drivers in the USA will pay for the business owners getting a deduction !

10. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    If when the dust settles, you end up with the same tax liability, even though you have less deductions, I'd count that as a plus. The simpler the tax code, the better.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.