Pros and Cons to 1 min and 15 min log intervals?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Proxy, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Good evening! anyone here run the 15min log intervals instead of the 1min on their ELD's? is there any benefit to it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    After a few years, I came to the conclusion my drivers tell me they love it. They have more control over the time and have it work to their advantage.

roshea Thanks this.
  4. Proxy

Proxy Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2018
    So if a driver goes on duty for pre trip does it immediately log 15 mins? and if he starts driving 14 mins into it does it alter the On Duty block of time?

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I do it 15 minutes. Gives me some room.

If I had to log 1 minute in my confused and messed up life full of problems then I would violate everything until place out of service.

I can do one minute precision time goals but I refuse to live my life with that kind of stress out there.

6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I don't know that ELD will do that, I believe they won't, I know EROAD doesn't advertise a capability for longer intervals.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    So got me wondering as I've never seen this come up here before.

7.40. Time
    Description: In combination with the variable “Date”, this parameter stamps records with a reference in time; even though date and time must be captured in UTC, event records must use date and time converted to the time zone in effect at the driver's home terminal as specified in section 4.4.3 of this appendix.
    Purpose: Provides ability to record the instance of recorded events.
    Source: ELD's converted time measurement.
    Used in: ELD events; ELD outputs.
    Data Type: UTC time must be automatically captured by ELD; time in effect at the driver's home terminal must be calculated as specified in section 4.4.3 of this appendix.
    Data Range: Any valid date combination expressed in <HHMMSS> format where “HH” refers to hours of the day, “MM” refers to minutes, and “SS” refers to seconds.
    Data Length: 6 characters.
    Data Format: <HHMMSS> where <HH> must be between 00 and 23, <MM> and <SS> must be between 00 and 59.
    Disposition: Mandatory.
    Examples: {070111}, {001259}, {151522}, {230945}.

So as per the regs the time must not only be to the minute, but it must be to the second. If the ELD was to offer a 15 minute window it would be non-compliant.

roshea, 25(2)+2 and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  8. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Ours logs whatever we use.

I can pull off on a ramp, go off duty. Step behind a tire. Start driving again. And at the end of the day, I’ll have a short 2-3 minute off duty event.

Same applies to on duty events.

Driving status during our early testing was complete nuts! While it would log those 2-3 minute on/off duty events. It could not figure out how much time was needed to complete a 30 break. Mine had me so spooked I was taking 40-45 breaks. Otherwise, it said I only took 27 or 28.

9. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

what log device were you using at that time?

10. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I don’t recall the software used. It was a Samsung tablet, mated to our QualCom. I know it was full of bugs though.

I was just part of the first test group. I’m back on the QualCom now.

Sorry no help :/

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    mine qualcomm logs in 5 minute intervals, say i driving and pull over to check straps, i log on duty , lets say it takes 3 mins to check straps well if i were to start driving after 3 minutes it would change that 3 minutes back to drive time like it never even happened, i have to record a minumum of 5 for it to even count, i dont understand why it cant log it like it is but im just a dumb truck driver

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.