Prospective Trucker

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by cryptocasca, Jun 22, 2018.

1. cryptocasca

cryptocasca Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Hey all,

I've been looking at eventually making a career change. I make pretty good money now and by the time that I am ready to make a career change (about three years from now), I should have enough savings to take care of my family and afford any OTR truck I want. I am 31 years old, strong and healthy, really enjoy driving around the western states, and always look at OTR truckers with a bit of envy. I realize it's a super tough and demanding job but a lot of the core elements of the job and overall "on the road" lifestyle seem very attractive to me. I would like to set up somewhere out west (Colorado, Nevada, Wyoming, Utah).

I have a bunch of questions I want to ask but I will try to keep it brief. Thank you to anyone who answers.

- How can I spend the next three years getting ready to be an OTR trucker?
    - What truck brands do you prefer and why? What's the best way to go about buying that truck assuming I have almost all of the purchase price in cash? New or used?
    - How should I go about looking for the right broker?
    - What are the best hubs out west for a trucker to live near?
    - If you were my age and had enough savings to purchase your own truck, what would you do differently?
    - Are there any other core questions I haven't asked that you think need to be answered?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    - Attain your CDL
    - Used, pre 2003 - in good condition. Cash.
    - Brokers are a dime a dozen. Do some research.
    - Yes, I'd seriously reconsider if I had children.
    - There are a plethora of unanswered questions.

Good luck.

otismyman and cryptocasca Thank this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    What trailer/freight type do you have in mind.

cryptocasca Thanks this.
  5. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    If was making enough to bank that much money I'd keep doing it and retire early. Trucking looks attractive until you jump in.

Trying living at your current job for a couple weeks and get that feel for mot seeing home or the family for at least that long, first couple times of it might ok but after that if your not ready for that lifestyle change you'll start getting that feeling.

While your driving, think like your 75ft long and 80k lbs heavy, start driving defensive minded.

6. cryptocasca

cryptocasca Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2018
    I would suppose a flat bed

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    I have to echo this. OP sounds like he's got in going on in the money department at his current gig. I can understand wanting to do something different if you find yourself not digging your job anymore, but going OTR is a pretty big leap if you have a family etc. If he's got the money to buy a truck and take care of his family easily in 3 years and he's set on it, I'd suggest looking into running regional at most, as opposed to "true" OTR. He could even run local with his own truck if he finds the right company or contacts in his area, and be home everyday, or every other day or so. There's several ways to skin a cat.

cryptocasca and Dino soar Thank this.
  8. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Get used to urinating only once every few hours.

Get a cheap (noisy) gasoline powered generator and leave it running at the foot of your bed to simulate parking next to a reefer at night.

Change your sleep schedule to be up all night at least once a week to prepare you for those 2am p/d.

If you're making good money, just rent an RV and tour the west. Don't forget to drive 11 hours every. Single. Freaking. Day.

Trucking isn't horrible, but it definitely ain't "Movin' On."

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You forgot, hire some hot women in mini-skirts to bang on his door all night asking if he wants some company.

Jwhis, cryptocasca, BillStep and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Become a member of www.OOIDA.com which is a business website for the owner-operator.

cryptocasca and Just passing by Thank this.
  11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I'm assuming you're not currently a driver. If that is true, it would be much better for you to work as a driver somewhere at least for a year, to see whether you truly like it and if it's for you. Not to mention that there is a learning curve, and when you have your own truck that learning curve cost you a lot of money. It's better if you have at least some experience and you've learned on someone else's dime. You'll still make plenty of mistakes on your own, but hopefully not everything will be a mistake when you have so much tied up into it.

I would suggest you use the search button and pay attention to the trials and tribulations and benefits and lifestyle of new drivers and owner-operators alike.

I also suggest you look in the Mechanics forum, because you need to see what the high cost is and the problems associated with these electronic trucks every time they have a hiccup. If you have no mechanical background, you need to learn quickly because mechanical repairs can cost you a fortune and there are a lot of things that you can and should do on your own.

Another reason to drive for someone else for a while is because if you don't have any experience, if you can even get insurance, it can be crazy insanely expensive. And this whole business is about expense.

So for now read the forums and concentrate on understanding what is needed for driver's skills, mechanical skills, and business skills.

Remember that most people in this industry fail as owner operators. What will save you is your experience and being your own bank.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.