Prostar work around

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by kneegrow, Dec 29, 2009.

1. kneegrow

kneegrow Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2009
    ardmore, ok
    on a international prostar manual transmission you have to depress the clutch to start the tractor. Does any one know a way to bypass having to push the clutch in to start it up.

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, I have done this. You have to remove the lower kick panels to gain access to the clutch switch. The clutch switch will be located up towards the top of the pedal. Prostars don't use the old fashion spring loaded trip rod style of switch. They use a magnetic style the just sits next to the pedal but doesn't make any contact. It will be black and mostly square in shape. I think it is mounted to a bracket next to the clutch pedal. Anyway, there are actually two switches inside this box. One allows you to crank the engine, the other is a signal to the body controller that you are depressing the clutch, (this would cancel the cruise and or engine brakes). There will be 4 wires going into this switch. There is a connector that you can unplug to get better access to the wires. The wires you are looking for are the two pink ones. They should be 18 gauge, PINK in colour, and numbered B17A, and B17AA. Simply cut the two wires near the connector body and then butt connect them together to bypass the clutch switch. Make sure you reconnect the connector to the clutch switch or your cruise won't work. Just remember, you will be eliminating a safety design and do so at your own risk.

4. kneegrow

kneegrow Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2009
    ardmore, ok
  5. The Breeze

The Breeze Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Fayetteville, NC
    Had this very same issue. Just got a 2014 international pro star and almost seemed impossible to push the clutch down far enough to ever start on the first try. I googled this problem and found this thread and read where you said it's a magnetic switch. So, I placed a small magnet on the arm of the clutch pedal and pushed it up into the dash as far as I could. Actually used an ink pen to push the magnet up as far as I could.

So far it works like a charm! Starts every time now with ease.

The magnet I used is a very small round neodymium, about 1/16" thick and 1/4" wide. Thanks :)

Heavyd Thanks this.
  6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, it does seem you have to push the pedal right through the fire wall to get these things to crank.

7. The Breeze

The Breeze Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Fayetteville, NC
    You ain't kidding. At times I thought I'd pushed the pedal into the oil pan and it still wouldn't crank! Ended up breaking the key off in the ignition trying to twist and push at the same time. I was about to pull the dash off to get at that switch and figured I'd see if a magnet would make any difference. It's like it should be now and it was such an easy fix I just had to share. I hope this helps someone else. -Cheers

8. bernardo29

bernardo29 Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Im buying an 09 prostar with a cummins and a 10 speed, has that same problem, the clutch pedal has to be push thru the firewall to get it to start. I had them replace the switch by the clutch pedal. still doing the same thing. u mean u placed a magnet on the side of the clutch pedal to pull the switch????? and get it to start easy????

9. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    HAve your shop disable it. It is a computerized option. I have the same problem on a brand new 2015.

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The crank inhibit is all switches and relays. There is no computer programming preventing the engine from cranking.

11. barnshark

barnshark Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Could this cause the truck not to start and say "electrical fault"?? Mine just clicks and when I got a roll (on a hill thank god) it turned right over. I have a brand new starter on the #### thing not even 3 weeks old. Could a switch failure cause this?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.