Prostars, the Good, the bad and tips to make better

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by bullhead, Sep 1, 2012.

1. bullhead

bullhead Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Twin Cities, minnesota
    I drive a 2012 with about 85k on it. There is a rattle that drives me nuts. I just came down I65, such a fine road,and I could not locate this rattle from the right side. It is very annoying. Anyone else suffer from this disturbance/distraction while driving?
    I thought that I would start a thread to share ideas and thoughts about this tractor and its accommodations. I found out that you have to clean the filter for the hvac system. Its under the bunk, pull it out and clean it. Also, if your finding water on the floor its from the a/c the drain is plugged. The drain is located on the rightside. Look under the cab, you should see two lines going into the cab, just located near these is a black stub that exits the floor. This is the drain.

Anyone else have any tips or ideas to share here about what they have done to their prostar to make things more tolerable. Cooking, fridges, t.v.s. Inverters, I am waiting to get a latex topper to make this bed something more than a prison mattresse.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dorset

dorset Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2009
    what's happening, bullhead?

if you have the TPMS, which is the tire pressure monitoring system, it will sometimes (always) go out of whack. problems include the sensors reading incorrectly because they weren't initialized after a tire rotation, sensors that are completely dead, and software problems that won't let the buttons work correctly on the control unit.

when the unit goes bad, the light on the dash will flash continuously, and it's very bright at night. and when the system decides that imaginary tire failure is imminent, the STOP ENGINE dash light will illuminate, and the warning beep will cycle, forever, whenever the engine is running, until it's corrected. the unit will not stop the engine if you ignore it, but it's hard to ignore.

the fix is simple, and permanent. on the fuse panel the fuse labeled F4J controls "driver display/tire pressure." and the fuse labeled F7C controls "smartwave tire pressure monitor."

on my 2012, pulling F7C instantly killed the TPMS, and i have had no problems with it since. i use a hand pressure gauge when i want to know what the tire pressures are.

maximum pressures are listed as 110 front/120 rear on the sidewalls, but roehl techs want 100/100, supersingles included.

4. apyles

apyles Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Newbern,Tn

As far as the inverter , they are real easy to run the cables. Just open the left bunk door, raise the floor mat look toward your left, and there is a grommet plug, then look directly across toward the floor wall in the bunk there is another grommet hole. This is the simpliest truck i have ever seen to run an inverter direct. The only rattling problem that i am having is the steering column. That thing rattles like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. coopnp

coopnp Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Had the tpms problem first day I got the truck with annoying beep that didnt go away. Leaking valve stem in a drive that was fixed at a terminal. Also the 5th wheel cab indicator one green and one red. The red would flash on/off when I was moving. I kept going and got it fixed at the dealer after the valve stem got fixed at the terminal. The sensor box under the 5th wheel was bad after our techs at the terminal replaced the sensor it sent a code for the box. And my bendix system module 42 has faulted alot only not letting me to run cruise control everything else works fine. Got the sensor up front "fixed or adjusted" again at a terminal only to fault again about the same mileage down the road. Now I just leave it and drive running on cruise is kinda annoying anyway with the bendix system. Upside down triangle and control module 42 listed where the miles of the truck are at on the speedo etc gauges. i have a 2012 also 30k miles so hopefully i dont run into other things. My steering wheel had a vibration also the techs said the goodyear drive tires are junk and go out of round and replaced them with michelins so that went away

6. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    So far the only problem Ive encountered is my blower motor for my AC in the cab went out. Got it fixed at 26k miles and i just rolled 50k and haven't had a problem yet. My auto start works great and the sleeper ac works fine as long as its less than 80*F outside.

I have had the water on the floor, I'll check my drain next time to see if its clogged. It only happens about twice a month that I find it.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Medium Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    NW PA
    Could be where the hood meets the body...not the latch but a little higher up towards the windshield. Can't think what it's called right now, but if you grease the heck out of it, the noise goes away.

8. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I think its the plastic piece that keeps the hood from shaking back and forth. Mine has a ton of grease on it and i dont get any noise, so i bet thats what it is on his truck

9. dorset

dorset Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2009
    when the blower motor goes out in the cab ac, slap your hand on the plastic cover underneath the fuse panel cover in the passenger footwell.

banging on the cover will sometimes jar the blower motor loose, and it will run for a few months without having to do it again.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  10. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Im actually surprised how much ive grown to love this truck. The engine is getting louder, FINALLY! I can hear it roar and the turbos sing now. I LOVE it. Plus my maxxforce engine is starting to pull a lot better than before. The more miles I put on this girl the better she plays.

11. Lantern

Lantern Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Deliverin Soda
    Ah, I see now DrtyDiesel, your going international and you cant come back.

Oh well, more peterbilts for me!

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.