Protecting your CDL while driving a personal vehicle

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nahbrown, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Nahbrown

Nahbrown Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)
    First of all, man I’ve missed Florida after spending all winter in Illinois! The warmth, palm trees and sun….:cool:. However I forgot about the drivers.

So with that in mind, I’ve been driving my mother-in-law’s F350 And trying to keep to the speed limit around the south of Ocala area. I understand how any ticket can affect my employability and that local police have a need to Generate revenue, so I’ve tried to be conservative.

It might be an understatement to say I’m not the locals most favorite in the person in the world right now. :(

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Let me get this straight.. your claiming florida drivers are worse drivers than Illinois ? ..WOW ..lol
    2nd you need to develop the same attitude I have about local law dogs ... F 'em. I ain't stopping for them .. they don't much like me around here anyhow I'keep going till they start shoot'n

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I drive our personal vehicles at or under the speed limit, indicate every turn, full stop at signs etc.

You’ll notice many threads on here with new drivers asking about employment after they’ve racked up 3 or 4 over 10-15 mph tickets.

If you want to speed, go to a race track.

5. Nahbrown

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)

Rural Illinois vrs Rural Illinois? Yes and its not even close. It seems like in Florida when you get closer to Daytona everyone thinks they’re a race car driver.

6. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I grew up in rual Illinois.. left that Communist. S...t hole the day after HS graduation

7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    You should ride with me some time. I always drive my car like it’s a big truck. I’m aware that I do it but I just can’t help it. And it drives everyone crazy! LOL. My favorite is when I am approaching a red light, I will start easing on the brakes a quarter mile or more before the light, and watch everyone behind me lose their minds. They will bounce into the other lane and speed past me, only to slam on their brakes right in front of the light. A lot of times the light will turn green before I even come to a stop, and I keep on rolling, right past the idiots who just passed me so aggressively and gained absolutely nothing! It’s hilarious.

8. Nahbrown

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)

Same. I was gone for 30 years and when my parents are no longer with us we will sell and move to Florida or Texas. Chicago ruins the state with its control of Springfield.

9. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Always use WAZE , and use a good radar detector in your personal vehicle ,
    And just watch what you’re doing .

and if you do get a ticket , always always always, fight it with a lawyer .

10. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    I will do the same sometimes, why do all the idiots want to race to the red light? Slow roll it then throttle on when it turns green, you probably get through there faster, definitely safer and less stressful.

11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Same here. I've been pulling tankers for too long to brake any other way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.