Protecting your CDL

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Canadianhauler21, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    To what extent do you protect your CDL?

I recently left a company after one week of work because they kept wanting me drive on PC to make deliveries. 75 miles and 90 miles. Also I had a drive time violation for 11 hours and 45 minutes drive time.

Being desperate to get back home I drove back basically as soon as I could and avoided all scales on the way back. I emptied out the truck yesterday and sent the owner a message saying I'm done working for him. I told him I need to protect my license.

Did I over react or was it the right thing to do? Owner says I'm over reacting and need to come back.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    F 'em. They pulled that crap once they won't hesitate to try it again.

4. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Most trucking companies will ask you to bend the rules at some point.

Instead of quitting your next job, it would be better to learn to say a firm “no” and let the chips fall where they may. Most of the one asking you to break the rules will back down if they see you won’t take their crap.

That is just the way the industry is, and if you quit and run away at the slightest problem, you won’t last.

tscottme, Numb, snowlauncher and 3 others Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    There's literally a ton of shady outfits where OP is located. Its probably comparable to Chicago.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That maybe true for some. The better ones will not though.
    Even the ones that sometimes ask to push don't do it on the first week. The op, if he allowed this to continue would get caught.
    No, the op did 100% the correct thing and claiming it's just the industry is a b.s. excuse to not stand up for yourself.

7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Ultimately you are responsible for your driving time management and must stop if your hours are up. So just be firm with them if you do want to stay, sometimes the boss will push you just to see what you are or are not willing to do. If not than by all means leave however this will not be the only company your going to encounter this issue with unfortunately.

Canadianhauler21 and slow.rider Thank this.
  8. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Are the hours different in an emergency, FEMA for example.?

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I have never once been asked or encouraged to exceed my HOS or use PC for any reason. A reputable company will never ask you to do it. Those are YOUR LOGS....you are legally responsible for the content of those logs. A company like that will throw you under the bus if push comes to shove. You made the correct move. Too many good jobs out here to deal with that $#!+.

10. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I've never been asked to either. You did the right thing. Hopefully their vindictiveness won't interfere with your future job searches.

D.Tibbitt and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  11. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Way to misrepresent my post, I clearly said he needed to learn to stand up for himself.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.