Proving your up to date on 390.3?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HopeOverMope, May 23, 2018.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    For those of you that passed your new entrant audit and safety audits in general, how do you choose to prove that your staying up to date with dot regs as mentioned in 390.3?

JJ Keller just tried to sell me a $500 program to prove my compliance, (compliance updates for 3 years) and said the the .gov site has a disclaimer stating that the .gov website cannot be used as a source for updating(?) ... OOIDA told me just have my regulation books current and show the inspector the link the .gov site.

Any insight on this would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    In the past I used a Keller Compliance manual (formerly Fleet Compliance Manual). I like paper (it comes in a 3 ring binder) and new page inserts are part of the update service. Now days you get the paper version and online version together for around $280.00 with one year of updates. Not sure what future updates cost I’d have to look when I get home.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  4. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Well yeah, we have the big 3 ring compliance manual from them, and they want $500 for 3 years of updates. (Buy 2 years get 1 free) ... OOIDA said basically that’s a load of junk...

I’m sure the product is good, just seems like there’s a way to prove your compliance without. I’m not trying to be cheap but dang that’s half a thousand, and if I can do it myself then I’m curious to know how.

5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Keller will sell you all kinds of crap if you let them.

Their sales dept will call me about once a month, to tell me I’m fixing to go to prison, if I don’t buy whatever hogwash they are selling.

We buy inspection forms, log books, and that’s it from them.

6. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    -How many trucks are you running?
    -Do you have any employees other than yourself?

I'm a single owner operator with no other employees. If it's just you, I'm pretty sure OOIDA isn't leading you wrong. I've only had the new entry safety audit in 2013 but I'm almost positive having an up to date reg book on hand is all you'll need as a one man show..

7. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    So you already have the manual and they want $500 just for updates for 3 years? Again, I would have to look but off the top of my head I’m thinking approximately $100 per year. Since the pocketbooks are are updated and reprinted every month, just buy a new one every couple of months. Heck buy a new one every month, that would be less than $200 for three years.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  8. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Exactly what they did to me, except they sent me a bill for it without agreeing to it. I got their big binder for free when ordering my log books. Considered boxing it up, and sending it back with a note to shove it.

I would also like to know how to stay compliant with the regulation. I’m sure there’s a short yearly training class the DOT puts on to get you up to date.

9. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    My new entry audit was performed and the nearest weigh station to my business address, he mainly checked everything online and a couple other basic stuff to keep, then just talked about the other regs required then signed me off as gtg.

DSK333 and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Yet one more bureaucratic thing to remember...?
    I did not even know I had to prove anything like that. I don't carry any regulation books with me. In case of an audit, I guess, I'll have to buy one...on the other hand I can always show them the smart phone and link to the FMCSA site.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  11. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    My safety audit was basically sending information in to the auditor. He basically said I didn't have to have a sit down interview. He didn't ask about updated regulations but I guess things have changed. I would just purchased those books & call it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.