PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Hi guys,
    Got a few irons in the fire,
    Have call backs from USF Holland for Road Driver
    Have a call back from the US Postal Service as a "PSE" Tractor Trailer Operator
    Trying to wiggle my self into a transit job at GFS, called HR today and maybe calling them tomorrow.

Question what is a "PSE" Tractor Trailer Operator? I know the Post Office has different grades and things and some guys have benefits and some guys don't.

I wouldn't think the Post Office pay wise could beat GFS quality of life wise the Post Office would be a breeze I would think bump a dock and push some carts off, beats having to lump 93 cases of frozen food out of the side door like I did this morning at the hospital. However on the flip side I got paid this week for last week, literally the most money I have ever made in my life not joking at all.

2. Badcable

Badcable Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Outside Chicago, IL
    jugs and Mike2633 Thank this.
  3. softail

softail Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    PSE= Postal Support Employee. Normally works when regular employees are on vacation or call in sick. On call basis. One week work 20 hours, next week work 60 hours. Prime time vacations are starting soon, so need more PSE's. Also work a lot around the holidays.

4. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    What aren't you liking over at GFS ?

5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    It's alright just having a hard time adjusting.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Shaggy Thanks this.
  6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Cle Elum, WA
    It probably won't pay your bills if you're used to a steady full time paycheck. You don't get any benefits at all your first year there either. The guys who hang in there long enough to get a "career" appointment can do very well though, especially once they hit top pay scale. IIRC they started PSE's at $21/hr overtime after 8 or 40.

The other guys nailed it: PSE is "postal support employee" which basically translates to "scrub". How long it takes to get into a full-time permanent position just depends on the PDC you work out of. I had a couple near misses with the Post Office...was offered a job a year late in Seattle and got snubbed in Manhattan (a little reverse affirmitive action I think was the deal there haha). Decided I wouldn't have had the patience for govt BS anyway :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. tolson

tolson Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Ankeny, Iowa
    I am Postal Service Driver in the Chicago area, we work our PSE's to death. in terms of Money and benefits, the best driving job I ever had. But it is boring, at least to me. Short runs, drop and hook 6 times a day. Don't listen to the "scrub" stuff. If you are someone who needs a pat on the back all the time, forget it. USPS is a big impersonal system. But pay and benefits are great once you get turned over to career status.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Neighbor lady runs tractor trailer for the postal service, She been doing it for going on 28 years , Her vacation time, PTO's and "stress" time openly admits she only works 5-7 months out of the year and makes really good money ( more then me ) . Makes an outsider really wonder who is the targeted audience to be hired on. USPS passed me over one time and never tried again.

Neighbor lady has no zero idea about the DOT, Pre trips, general trucking terms . I give her a gold award for 99.9% devoted mother and 0.01% work interfering with life, She has great bbq's and great selection of alcohol. Best neighbor ever :biggrin_2559:

Is it true, USPS targeted audience is females and minorities ?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. tolson

tolson Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Hi Shaggy, it is true DOT doesn't mess with us, and few Postal Drivers have ever driven regional, let alone OTR. Yes the money is great, and I'm home every day or night depending on your shift.

No it is not true that the Post Office targets minorities. However there are some geographical areas where most are black. I think this is due to the Post Office not advertising work very often...you need to know where to look. Thus the open jobs are networked through existing employees. At one facility I worked at I was one of 8 white drivers and 92 black drivers.

I now work at a facility where out of 38 drivers, 4 take home over $100,000 a year. There are an incredible number of overtime opportunities. I don't tap into OT much anymore. We have 8 PSE'sthey make less an hour than we do, and have no benefits for the first year, but once you get turned over, it is like they just throw money at you, every 5 months you are getting a raise, it is almost obscene. Just do your job and get payed.

Nathanos, jugs, Sho Nuff and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Thanks for the info brother for other folks wondering, My application is several years old. Without a doubt in present time could be hired on ( comfortable with ABF ) It's not obscene pay, Rightfully yours and a healthy pension that will never go away ( unless employee screws up ).

Pretty much asking for others not willing to ask. USPS is great career choice.

• Draft saved Draft deleted