PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. CarHauler James

CarHauler James Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Ohio
    Hello, New poster a long time reader. Anyway, I interview tomorrow for PTF TTO. I'm pretty happy about it.

I am also supposed to head out for orientation tomorrow with a trucking company that has great reviews making .50/mile plus good benefits. Of course, I got the email for an interview for USPS a day after I was approved by safety at the company I am going to tomorrow.

I am a little worried about taking the job now as I would hate to start with them only to leave in a month if USPS pans out. The lady at USPS was really cool and let me come in tomorrow before I leave instead of Thursday with the other 7 people. (4 jobs available)

What do you guys think would be best? Should I push orientation a week or two or should I take the job now and go to USPS when they offer the job?

I really want the USPS job as I live within walking distance of the hub.

I was a car hauler for 10 years with my own authority but haven't worked in trucking since 2016. So It was kinda hard to get in ANYWHERE as no recent experience. The company I am going to allow you if you have 3 years in the last 10. So If I try and push the oreintation I may mess that job up and end up with no job. LOL. But being a company owner myself, I hated when people would come and quit after a couple of weeks. HATED IT!

Question for the people who work for USPS.
    I have heard that USPS is really strict on the background. At least they were back in the day.

With me everything is clean MVR, no accidents ever, clean background, and I have my drug testing results from my consortium. All clear.

Only thing I do worry about is s a juvenile I had some run-ins with the law, Also when I was 16 or 17 my license was suspended briefly for not paying a ticket. This doesn't show up in my MVR or backgrounds now but I am not sure how the FBI checks are. I'm in my 40's now and nothing as an adult.

Is this anything that would hinder me from being employed by USPS?

I was bonded working in Airfreight as a dispatcher for an airline. Fingerprints, FBI checks the whole deal. Everything was fine.

What do you think? Would this still affect my chances with USPS?

Thanks

2. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Yep. Same thing at my barn. After your 90 day probation is when you get your uniform allowance.

We got a closet full of hand me downs from drivers who retired or switched crafts. First year allowance isn't really enough to get everything that you want, so new drivers tend to grab whatever they can from the closet.

We're also allowed to buy uniforms from other crafts. Letter Carriers uniforms is virtually identical to MVS, so we sometimes buy stuff from them. We got drivers wearing uniforms from all different crafts...from wearing PVS shirts, Clerk sweaters, Postal Police pants and boots, and Letter Carrier rain coats. Basically crossing crafts for uniforms :confused:, but management doesn't really care...at least not at my barn. As long as it has the USPS logo, that's all they care about :D

nycusps and Shaximat Thank this.
  3. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    It doesn't look like you would have any problems getting on with USPS. Keep in mind the process is really long. It could be two months until you start even though you'd think they would expedite it so you can get in before peak.

Shaximat and CarHauler James Thank this.
  4. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Welcome aboard :)
    Man...talk about bad timing :mad:. It's either nobody calls or everybody calls all at once :rolleyes:
    Keep in mind that this is only an interview. Not a job offer. It's a good opportunity to ask the interviewer some questions before making any final decisions. Only when you receive and offer of employment and accept it are you technically, officially, unequivocally hired. Also, we are a union shop. Unlike teamsters, seniority is not based on who clocks in first. So if there are 4 positions available and all 4 of you get hired at the same time, seniority will be based on whoever scored the highest on the 473 test score.
    IMO...I would still attend orientation at the other job. You may be one out of 50 other possible applicants that may be interviewed during the week as well. Nothing is guaranteed and you never know what the interviewer views as a good candidate. A lot of the applicants might be military vets, and they tend to get preferential treatment over regular applicants. There are stages to the hiring process, from the interview, to background checks, to drug and physical test, road test, etc., and each barn or district operates differently. Some may get it done within a couple weeks and others may take up to 3 - 6 months. But on the average, it's around 2 - 3 months before you're hired. So that's why I would still attend orientation at the other job.
    Can't get a better commute than that :D. Zero wear and tear on your vehicle and zero spent on fuel :p
    We have a couple former car haulers at my barn. They all made great money, but one thing they all mentioned was that they hated loading and unloading during the winter time.
    They are strict. They'll do your normal background check like every other company does...like driving record, previous employment, criminal background, etc. But you also have to be a US Citizen and registered with Selective Service too.
    Looks like you're good to go. You're still gonna have to take another drug test though.
    That's water under the bridge. Nothing to worry about. Looks like you're good to go.
    Nope.
    Like I mentioned before...good to go. If you can pass a background check working for an airline, than doing a background check for USPS should be a piece of cake.
    Nope. :D
    You're welcome :D. And good luck on your interview :)

And oh, I forgot to mention. Make sure you ask during your interview how many PTF's they have and where you'll be on the seniority list. VERY IMPORTANT. Also, ask how many hours a week PTF's are getting and how long it might take to turn Full-time Regular. If they tell you around 40 or less per week, this might change your mind on taking the job. Plus the whole not having a set schedule and being available any day for any shift might be a turn off too.

Good luck.

5. CarHauler James

CarHauler James Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Ohio
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I will take your advice and go to orientation as I need to work and I am going to a good company. I got up this morning and the USPS manager had to cancel my interview today and reschedule for Friday. LOL, So I guess that took care of that for now.

I advised her I will just reapply at a later date as I don't want to schedule an interview for Friday when most likely I'll be on my first load and have to cancel with her.

I am just going to put in some time with Forward Air as they were cool about letting me come on when I havent drove in 3 years.

I'll reapply when I know my home time routine.

As far as my take on Car Hauling, It was a fun challenge and the money was good. It seems scary or difficult but like anything, once you get your system down the loading/unloading is easy in any weather. I actually prefer the cold as I sweat way more than any human should.

My biggest complaint was picking up at auctions and trying to find your car when someone else used your car to search for theirs and left it parked out of its marked spot. Needle in a haystack!

Auto Transport is a great way to stay in shape while trucking too.

Thanks again.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  6. 3031

3031 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2011
    I've accepted a TTO job offer, currently undergoing background checks. I'm a bit nervous about the pay though. He said nobody gets overtime right now, it's a fiscal year and not peak season yet, etc. I don't mind paying dues now so I can have a well-paying secure job in the future, but the math looks pretty grim at this point. He did say there were 10-12 drivers ahead of me in seniority. Does the pay go up once you bid on your own route?

7. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    https://d1ocufyfjsc14h.cloudfront.n...018_part-time_flexible_hourly_basic_rates.pdf

level 8 is TTO’s. Takes ten years or so to top out but you won’t be a ptf near that long. Once you convert to regular, you’ll drop to the bottom of that pay scale which is more or less the same, a little less hourly. Takes the same amount of time to top out.

We have old timers that were PTF’s for six years and were pissed when they turned regular because of all the money they lost. It’s a silly way to do things.

3031 Thanks this.
  8. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Hmmmm...nobody gets OT at your barn? That's not a good sign. That means that most likely PTF's will probably get less than 40 a week. Probably around 30 or less would be my guess.

Unless you know you can live on 40 or less per week...for years, I would recommend to pass on the job.

Pay does not go up when you bid on a run. In order for you to bid on a run, that's mean you would have to be a Full-time Regular. PTF's are not Full-time and do not get to bid on runs. Once you get converted to FTR, your pay actually goes down...because you lose the 10 holiday pay that is already built into your payrate.

There's a lot of people on this thread that have worked a couple weeks and then quit because they were getting no OT. I think they're overall opinion is necessary on this thread...because it shows that not all barns and districts operate the same and they're experience is valuable information for new applicants so that they can weigh the pros and cons and decide whether it's worth it or not to work for USPS.

Nuff said.

3031 Thanks this.
  9. 3031

3031 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2011
    He said the hours are just under 40. For example, the driver with the least hours the previous week had 37. So it's close to 40. I'm not sure if I would get OT during peak season or not.

I actually can, but don't want to if there's no payoff. The prospect of a secure, relatively easy job with a set schedule appeals to me. I'm willing to wait for that, but not forever. There would be about 12 people ahead of me in the seniority line. He said the average wait time to become a full-time regular is 6-9 months.

Old Dominion contacted me yesterday for a linehaul position I had applied for earlier, and I'm tempted to move forward with that instead.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  10. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I would go with ODFL. The fact that the interviewer was honest enough to tell you that nobody gets OT is commendable. A lot of supervisors wouldn't do that. OT is where we make our money. Without it... especially at beginning payrate, it's gonna be REALLY difficult to get by on.

Just my honest opinion :)

layover6, Cardfan89, jmz and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. nycusps

nycusps Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Still no uniform allowance but I did finally get the employee benefits handbook by mail that I was supposed to get in June. It has the answers to many of the questions that I asked HR, included the 4.4% for FERS coming out of my paycheck that I was told should be 1%. I increased my 3% automatic TSP to 5% to get the full match.

Attached Files:

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted