PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. McUzi

McUzi Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Jackpot. Take the ODFL linehaul gig.

MACK E-6 and 3031 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nycusps

nycusps Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Bidding started last week and I probably will not be called to bid since there are so many people ahead of me in seniority. A supervisor told me he was PTF for years and got tons of OT that way. A lot of people say PTF's end up getting more OT than FTR's. It took me a while to figure out why but it's because FTR's have set route and the OT route may start while they are still out on their bidded run. FTR's can't be pulled from the bidded run while PTF's can be moved around to cover the OT route.

hardge72 and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  4. nycusps

Mar 12, 2019
    The USPS process for me took about 2 months, which is considered fast. I was expecting it to take 3 months and ended up having to quit a job that I'd just recently started. Luckily I was able to hire and train my replacement at that company by putting off my USPS start date for a few weeks so I didn't burn a bridge. If nobody gets OT at the USPS job, I would not take it. The pay is not high enough on 40 hours or less at USPS and being PTF's with a schedule changing weekly is not worth it.

I know someone who has been with Old Dominion for his entire career. He is a senior driver who trains people and loves it. That is a good company. He is a local driver but does line haul a few times per month on weekends.

hardge72, 3031 and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    We had a lot of PTF's and FTR that would buy USPS attire from non licensed venders...like Marty Grace. They would just write it off as a tax write-off. Can't do that anymore with the new tax laws :mad:

I use to to deduct anything that was work related.
    - Union dues? Tax write-off.
    - Cell service? Tax write-off.
    - Work gloves? Tax write-off.
    - New sneakers??? Er...uh...I mean work boots!!! Yeah!...that's it...work boots :D Tax write-off.
    - Glass plus? Tax write-off.
    - Paper towels ?...Nah. I use the cheap brown rolls of paper towels that's laying around everywhere.
    - Pens? Tax write-off.
    - Bluetooth headset? Tax write-off.
    - Yada, yada, yada......:cool:

Now...you can't deduct anything that's work related :(. If I want work gloves, I have to go to my supervisor instead of buying them. Work gloves isn't part of our uniform allowance...but it should be. You buy enough of those out of pocket and it starts adding up. I sometimes grab the gray mail handlers work gloves if I can find them, but you have to ask a supervisor first in order to get one. Cheap...penny pinching mofo's :mad:. I'm surprised some of these mail handlers don't go around with blinged out, diamond encrusted, Michael Jackson type gloves...with the amount of money some of them are making. $150-200k as a dockworker???? Something ain't right about that :confused:

6. nycusps

Mar 12, 2019
    Yeah, I used to write off a ton of work-related stuff. 2018 taxes changed all of that. A teacher friend lost out on like $5,000 in deductions for classroom stuff.

They don't seem to care if people are in the right uniforms so I won't press the issue.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  7. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Contract update.....

Also, a lot of people don't know that the APWU also represents private sector contractors (HCR) like MCA (Mail Contractors of America). They just recently ratified a new contract. I don't necessarily agree with this. How can you argue a case to eliminate subcontracting when you're representing the same people that are taking work away from us??? :scratch: :dontknow:

hardge72, speedyk and Shaximat Thank this.
  8. nycusps

Mar 12, 2019
    A supervisor told me today that the contract negotiations are close to being done. He said retroactive pay should be calculated and paid out by February. I have no idea why he thinks this or where he got his information.

9. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    A lot of level 17 supervisors started off as Craft employee's. Practically all the supervisors at my barn started off as mail handlers. Transportation supervisors usually moved up from the ranks as a driver. When they switch from from craft employee to EAS, usually they start off as a 204B duty assignment to gain experience until a permanent position is available. EAS employee's (Supervisors, Managers, Postmasters, etc.) are also in a union (NAPS - National Association of Postal Supervisors), and it's their job to know and follow union contracts...or disregard them, which most of them like to do. USPS and management are the ones who are trying to undo everything we are asking for during arbitration. So most likely, they keep up with how our union negotiations are going.

nycusps Thanks this.
  10. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il

11. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    It was like that up here in Chicago...no overtime..then Yu might get sent home early...after 3 months I had enough..so shonuff is telling Yu right...maybe try old Dominion...but ltl is kinda slow right now too...so thread cautiously

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted