PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    You can retire at 62 with 5 years of service. 60 with 20 years and I think 55 with 30 years.

Rule of thumb for pension is 1% per year of service. So if you spent 30 years, that's about $30k you'll get, which equals around $2500 a month. Add on Social Security, which OPM will calculate and that can add on another $1k or more per month...which will equal to around $3500 per month. Then you add on whatever your TSP contributions were and that'll be your retirement plan under FERS. How much you have in your TSP will all depend on if you maxed out your matching contribution, roth and catch up roth plan...or if you invested into the government GFSIL fund plans. People have retired as millionaires investing in the TSP GFSIL fund plans. When you roll all three together...it's not a bad retirement plan. Then add on whatever health plan you choose to continue after retirement...whether it's BCBS, Cigna, Aetna, Kaiser, etc., and let's just say you got nothing to worry about during your retirement :D

2. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Not too bad! I'm familiar with TSP from my time in the service, but like a dummy never took advantage of it! I wouldn't make that same mistake a 2nd time around.

Cardfan89 and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  3. ltzSupra

ltzSupra Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Wow, i just read this entire thread from page 1 to 147. I was invited to an interview at Morgan P&DC 341 9th Ave in NYC on 1/10/2020. Having all this information was such a help. It will really help me make this tough decision of transitioning from o/o to usps for a better future, if I get in. I'm 27 and recently married with no kids, so the pay cut will not affect me as bad as it would others. Will keep you guys posted.

BigDog Trucker, Shaximat and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  4. Postaldriver53

Postaldriver53 Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2020
    Privatizing the P.O. ain't gonna happen. Congress will never vote for or approve it. Too many politicians still rely on being spoiled by the post office. Now overturning the prefund mandate might happen but who knows?

5. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I don't believe we'll be privatized either. Too much support from Congress not to...but having an administration that wants to privatize, a task force report recommending privatization, and a Board Of Governors that was appointed by the same administration...has everyone concerned that the next Postmaster General will not have the best interest for the PO. The Union has been fighting back to make sure of this and to make sure the next PMG will continue to keep the PO from being privatized......

Shaximat Thanks this.
  6. Shaximat

Shaximat Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2017
    From what i know, Morgan have a lot of OT. It's always busy in heart of NYC. If you ready to spend a lot of hours, you should be good.

ltzSupra and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  7. nycusps

nycusps Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2019
    This is interesting https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article238238929.html

No driver needed: 20 tons of butter takes road trip from California to Pennsylvania

BY SUMMER LIN

DECEMBER 10, 2019 02:11 PM
    • Silicon Valley startup has completed the first coast-to-coast commercial freight trip made by a self-driving truck, according to the company’s press release. Plus.ai announced on Tuesday that its truck traveled from Tulare, California, to Quakertown carrying over 40,000 pounds of Land O’Lakes butter.

And the company says the trek went as smooth as butter.

The journey took less than three days and spanned 2,800 miles, according to the announcement. It also involved different weather conditions and terrains, including the “expansive plains of Kansas (and) winding roads of the Rockies.” The truck drove “primarily in autonomous mode” and a driver was onboard for monitoring and safety purposes, according to the release.

Sho Nuff and Shaximat Thank this.
  8. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I don't think we have too much to worry about as far as self driving trucks. Most of that technology is for long distance driving (linehaul). It may affect the HCR contractors though, since they are the ones that do the long distance runs. We're pretty much P&D drivers...just collecting mail and parcels locally from postal stations and businesses and bringing it back to the DC. So I would like to see a robot do that :cool:

What I would worry about is Amazon. They're planning on expanding their logistics beyond their own products. It's estimated that by 2020 they'll deliver more than FedEx. By 2022, they'll deliver more than UPS...becoming the largest parcel delivery service out there. We've already noticed the effects of Amazon relying less and less of our services. It's the first time in 10 years that parcel volume has gone down for us. Amazon isn't just the 800 pound gorilla that's taking everybody out...they've become King Kong that's taking over the world......

Amazon Will Deliver More Packages Than UPS or FedEx by 2022 | The Motley Fool

nycusps and Shaximat Thank this.
  9. ltzSupra

ltzSupra Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2011

What's funny is that was one of my first questions to them and they said OT is a penalty against management. But when I had the 1 on 1 interview with the transportation supervisor, he said there is OT and I shouldn't have an issue getting it as they need 13 TTOs right now and only 7 guys were at the interview. I would definitely need to do OT to keep up with my bills right now. He also told me there are currently 11 PTF TTOs at Morgan. I definitely want to give it a shot, just not looking forward to driving the neck breakers. How bad are they on the spine? Lol

Shaximat Thanks this.
  10. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    I have my app in for TTO down here in NJ. What did they say about hours/work schedule?

• Draft saved Draft deleted