PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ltzSupra

ltzSupra Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2011
    I haven't started. I'm still in the hiring process. And yes no one in the USPS starts off as full time in the Tractor Trailer Operator or Motor Vehicle Operator Craft. Depending on your location, you can get 40+ hours a week as a PTF from what I've read in this thread.

BigDog Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    The job listings they tend to put up can be confusing at times. People see the word "CAREER" and think it's a fulltime position when it's not. NOBODY at the PO starts off fulltime except in the maintenance craft. They start off as a PTF (Part Time Flexy) in the MVS craft, which is still a CAREER position...just not fulltime. You'll still get everything that FTR gets (pay, benefits, retirement,etc.) just not the guaranteed fulltime hours or bid runs.

How long you wind up being a PTF depends on two things......

1. Whoever is next to retire.
    2. If a new run is created.

PTF's have a seniority list too. So whoever is on top gets converted first. There's no cookie cutter method on when conversion happens. There's no certain amount of days or month's you have to put in before turning fulltime. Everything is based off the luck of the draw and being there at the right place and the right time. If there's a whole bunch of FTR planning on retiring, it could take a couple month's. If there's no planned retirement's, it can take years. The lower you are on the seniority list, the longer it will take to turn fulltime.

Here's a couple questions that you need to ask before accepting a job at USPS.

1. Are you pro or antiunion?
    2. Can you live off of possibly only getting 30 hours per week?
    3. Do you have someone that can support you during the first couple years?
    4. Are you willing to have no set schedule?
    5. Are you willing to work any day (Saturday-Sunday + holidays)?
    6. Any shift/tour (day, evening, night)?
    7. Day shift one day, night shift the very next day?
    8. Are you willing to have no set schedule for possibly years as a PTF?
    9. And are you willing to wait 10 years to reach top rate?

If you find yourself answering "NO" to most of theses questions, I would REALLY consider not giving any 2 week notice at your current job and REALLY consider whether it's worth it or not to work for USPS.

snowbird_89 and BigDog Trucker Thank this.
  3. ltzSupra

Feb 25, 2011
    Concerning #7, does that happen to FTRs too?

BigDog Trucker Thanks this.
  4. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Im def pro-union. Does a full-time driver have a bid with a set schedule? Or does it still fluctuate day to day? Can a full time bid include saturday and sunday work, also?

5. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Yes and no. FTR have set schedules...meaning bid runs. So unless the bid run has some odd start times, which by the way we do have a couple at my barn...you may start off in tour 1 one day and tour 2 the next as an example. But usually there isn't a REALLY large discrepancy in start times. And also, NS (Non Schedule) OT means you're coming in for 6 or 7 day OT. So you can be covering runs that has different start times.
    Yes. All FTR have set schedules/bid runs...unless they are an unassigned regular. It can fluctuate day to day if that's what the bid run is...but it doesn't normally fluctuate too much off your normal start time. If you come in for BT OT or ET OT, than that can change your normal start time too...which can be 2-4 hours begin tour or 2-4 hours end tour. And yes, FTR do have bid runs that work on Saturday and Sunday. You get paid an additional 25% more for Sunday premium. If Saturday runs into Sunday, no matter if it's only for 30 minutes, you get paid double Sunday premium.

BigDog Trucker and ltzSupra Thank this.
  6. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    Not sure if you did your interview yet, but I just got done with mine. Heres what I got: part time can last for years. The manager tries to keep the part timers above 30 but below 40hrs a week cuz otherwise the union would demand more full time spots open up. Schedule can fluctuate week to week. It takes 11 yrs for top rate, but he thinks it might've dropped down to 7yrs. Your shift is 8 hours and they try not to go above that because that means OT which is a bad thing for management. New equipment is coming in. 80% of the centers runs are contracted out (crazy).

And the icing on the cake: the job is as close to welfare as you can get LOL.

ltzSupra Thanks this.
  7. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Guessing you're not taking the job?

8. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    If it didnt take so long to hit top rate, I would prob have said yes by now. And def if there was more of a solid time table (like less then a year or two) for making full time. But the prospect of making low 20s plus being part time w/o a bid for the first 3 or 4 yrs is definitely a turn off. Although, I can still buy back my military time and look at being retired by my mid-50s. So thats definitely a plus. I'm still going to mull it over. I have a few other pokers in the fire and usps can take a lil while to move through the process so I'm still in a wait and see mode.

9. ltzSupra

Feb 25, 2011
    I was told just about the same exact thing. I'm due for my 2nd drug test but I think I've decided not to pursue it anymore. I was trying to find a driver for my truck and work the usps but looking at everything, it's more headache than it's worth. Like you said, if the starting pay wasn't so low, I could have tried to make it work. Especially me living in NYC, I can't understand how they have a standard hourly rate across the country.

10. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    Youre better off trying to pick up a contract running their mail.

• Draft saved Draft deleted