PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ltzSupra

ltzSupra Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2011
    I've got a good gig going right now, it's just flatbed. I can do it with my eyes closed now, I was just thinking long term 20 years from now what I'm going to be doing. Which was the reason I looked into the usps because apparently the job itself is easy as it gets.

BigDog Trucker Thanks this.
  2. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Yeah if u have another decent stream of income coming in (I'm thinking +$1500/mo), then doing this job is manageable. If not, then forget it.

3. nycusps

nycusps Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Rumors are a raise of $4-$5 by February/March with backpay. Not sure how accurate that is though.

Cardfan89 and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  4. ltzSupra

Feb 25, 2011
    If that is true, then this job will be highly competitive with other LTL carriers in my area. I just saw a cabover Mack pulling either a 26' or 28' usps logo single axle trailer when I went to get the wife from work. The Mack has a sweet sounding motor.

5. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    How far back does the last contract go? 2010? 2011? How long have you guys been working under an expired contract?

6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Nothing is written in stone yet...so rumors will be exactly what it is...rumors. What the union wants and what the union will get is completely up to the arbitrators. It may wind up being the best contract we ever have...and it also may be the worst.

But if we do get what we asked for, that'll be a 3% raise per year + COLA's...which would bring us around the mid $30's for top rate. Keep in mind that if it's a 3 year contract, we'll be right back into contract negotiations again in a year and a half. So if we get another 3 year contract, that bring our top rate very close to $40 an hour...which will make us pretty competitive compared to UPS's 5 year contract. But all of this is up to the arbitrators to decide.

ltzSupra and nycusps Thank this.
  7. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    Are you guys working on an expired contract? When was the last one signed?

8. ltzSupra

Feb 25, 2011
    Sho, after going through the pay scale history on the APWU website, the rate looks like it only increases 50 cents to a dollar per year. For the USPS to make a 4-5 dollar jump would surely surprise me at the rate they been going. But who knows, I guess we'll have to wait.

9. CharlieEW3

CharlieEW3 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Hi! I’ve been reading this thread for a few days because I applied for a TTO position and was wondering if this would be a good company to work for. My posting for the Portland, OR DC didn’t specify the position being PTF just “career” which newbies like me wouldn’t know it’s not technically full time. Now I went in for the interview and they gave me times to choose from and when I went in I interviewed with two of the managers. They said starting pay is 22.26 but with OT and shift differential and night pay etc. it would be higher. I asked how long it would be to work my way up the pay scale and they talked about they have 9 FTR drivers and 5 PTFs with 6 FTR drivers retiring. With that and Portland DC taking over Vancouver area they said while PTF is guaranteed 20 hrs they would say to expect 40 minimum and you could move up the pay scale VERY fast with top scale normally 9 yrs time right now 1-2 yrs. BUT I am conflicted because I have another driving offer that starts out at 24 / hr and goes up to 25 / hr after 90 day probation period with raises every year with a route and split days off for the first year then Sun/Mon off usually working 50-55 hrs with option to work a 6th day when needed or not. Is the PO managers telling me BS? Or should I stick with it? Or should I just take the other offer?

10. nycusps

nycusps Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2019
    You need to decide if you can live with an irregular schedule and potentially part-time salary for a while.
    If 6 Full time TTO drivers are retiring and there are only 5 TTO PTFs then you will be full time quickly. We had bidding for PTF's in October with about 25 part-timers going to full time. At the time we had about 200+ MVO's 50+ PTF's (about 260 total); 77 TTO's

The pay scale is confusing. You get base, overtime after 8, double overtime after 10, 2.5 OT after 12 and 25% Sunday differential as well as nighttime differential. I was told 35 hours per week for PTF's but always hit more hours than that. Career means you get benefits. PTF means part-time flexible, no set shift and guaranteed 4 -6 hours per day but most people say they work 35+. Everyone from my training classes that I've run into said they hit 40 hours and get some overtime each week.

MVO base salary is $21.89 per hour
    Night Differential is $23.08
    OT after 8 hours is $31.57
    Night OT is $33.36
    Double OT after 10 hours (V time aka Penalty OT) is $46.16
    Sundays 25% premium is $27.36 (I have never worked on a Sunday)
    Double time & a half after 12 hours is $54.73

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    CharlieEW3, ltzSupra and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted