PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Hey @Russian Rabbit, I noticed on my P&D run that UPS Freight got some new Tractors, and they're ALL Brown. Your uniforms haven't changed either, have they?

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Some of the new vehicle designs they're coming up with seems pretty high tech. A LOT better than what we have now....

437923657e65315417cdbb9ada0a5392.jpg
    USPS-Nikola-one-semi-truck-USPS-mail-truck-concept.jpg
    USPS-Tesla-Mail-truck-concept.jpg
    USPS-Vision-Van-Mail-truck-concept.jpg
    usps-renderings.jpg
    Jeep-Wrangler.jpg

Shaximat and Mike2633 Thank this.
  3. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Cleveland has the Mack Visions there not new by any means, but not as old as the little cab overs, however Cleveland also has I don't know if I had to guess maybe a dozen really hard to quantify of the straight trucks that have the goofy single wheel drop axle I know you guys have those.

Actually the other day for the second time ever I saw one of those straight trucks with the drop axle lowered. I still am confused by the drop axle straight trucks, and they have had them for years years there not new to the post office by any means. Well with all this package business they might have a use for them.

Sho Nuff and Shaximat Thank this.
  4. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    You talking about these straight trucks Mike?

b38d8b50a9244bdd5b889e2f72986e9a.jpg

Those are our 16 ton staight trucks, and yeah, I have no clue why we have those drop axles. We NEVER, EVER go that heavy. Even fully loaded, it STILL feels extremely light. It's nothing but Mail and Parcels, so being overweight is NEVER an issue.

Shaximat and Mike2633 Thank this.
  5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Yes exactly right. Last week I saw one of your 16 tons with it's back axle dropped I should have taken a picture LOL!

Shaximat and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  6. Daniel55645

Daniel55645 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Indianapolis, IN
    and even if you are, it's not like you ever run over scales

Sho Nuff and Mike2633 Thank this.
  7. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    There's a lot of things that we get away with that any other trucking company out their wouldn't be able to. It may seem hypocritical that the government mandates all these rules and regulations in the trucking industry and then exempt themselves from it, BUT, like the saying goes..."If you can't beat 'em....Mind as well join 'em". :D;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Cardfan89 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  8. Daniel55645

Daniel55645 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yea it does seem crazy. Truck driving for the post office is whole different world of truck driving.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  9. AnthonyM757

AnthonyM757 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2015
    As soon as I get 1.5 years experience in with Coke, I'm jumping straight in with you guys..

Question though.

With all the uncertainty in USPS

Do you guys feel your job is safe for the foreseeable future??

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  10. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    There's really no certainty in ANY trucking job out there. With all the new regulations and driver shortage, and Eggheads coming up with ideas like driverless trucks, there's really no guarantee of anything, but the Post Office NOW is doing a HELLUVA lot better than in years past.

A couple years ago, they were planning on closing down 82 Plants, but with the EXPLOSION of e-commerce, the Postal Service has shown BIG profits for the fourth year in a row. In a way, you can say our contract with Amazon saved the Postal Service. We do about half of Amazon's deliveries, whereas UPS and Fed Ex split the other half. E-commerce is the reason why we're becoming more of a Parcel service now. It's also the reason why our new Union contract is A LOT better than in the past. Under the new contract, no Postal Facilities will be closed down, and A LOT of contracted work will be coming back to us now. I think there's close to 200 contracted work going back inhouse. I know at my barn, we got a whole bunch of new runs that use to be HCR, which required new drivers to be hired. The Postal Service was never in trouble to begin with. It's funding our Pension at 100% for the next 75 years is what got us in trouble, but I THINK the Union is renegotiating new terms ease this burden.

• Draft saved Draft deleted