PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    if you have bills take the Frito Lay job. They are union and have a pension. If you live in your moms basement, have low or no bills, or have a wife that has a good income then take the PO job. PO job pays in the long run but they make you suffer first before you start making money. Could be years in some areas. The benefits and top pay is hard to beat though at the PO. People buy chips year round.

BigDog Trucker and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  2. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Part of it depends on your local. Some locals have memorandums of understanding stating that PTF’s will be given 40 hours before any OT is given out.

ltzSupra, BigDog Trucker and Danny707 Thank this.
  3. Danny707

Danny707 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2019
    I own a house lol I’m 30 years old and still in the same shape after 1 year of OTR eastern 37 states. I’ve worked hard all my life as a carpenter and welder dealing with all weather and heavy crap. All the touch freight jobs that pay well want me to have that 1 year of driving with 100k. I’ll still finish the assessment test and see what USPS says. Right now Frito , LTL and Sysco are on top of my list.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  4. Danny707

Mar 26, 2019
    Darn it sound like a FT job and the starting pay looks ok 22/28hr I’ll still finish the process with them and see what’s next. Now that I’ve done 1 year of OTR and 100k safe miles I’m applying to all the LTL carriers as well as Frito / Sysco and USPS. My background in construction and still being in shape should help and I’ve worked on military bases 11 years so you know my background super clean.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Yeah...I hate to drop the bomb on you like that.....

[​IMG]

....but NOBODY starts off full-time at the PO. Only craft that does start off full-time is the maintenance craft. So if you wanted to start off full-time, you would have to apply for a labor custodian, or any other maintenance position on the USPS website. Maintenance custodians at my barn work 6 days a week @ around 55-60 hours per week and make over $100k at top rate :eek:. Yep...you heard it right...$100k to be a janitor o_O. And once you're career, you can then transfer to any other job that's available within the PO. It's one of the things I like about the PO...is that you're not stuck to one job if you're not happy with what you are doing. There's PLENTY of other jobs that you can transfer to...plus your pay level does not drop down either :)

BigDog Trucker and Danny707 Thank this.
  6. Danny707

Mar 26, 2019
    Thanks for the heads up. Like I said I was hired by them hopefully that helps but I didn’t take the job pay was to low I was just fed up with the construction world at the time when work was on and off. Again I know frito and other carriers that are good paying day cab jobs will start me on the bottom and I gotta work my way up.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  7. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    That pretty much applies to any local job that you apply for...union or not. Seniority...it sucks if you don't have any LOL. Sysco is union...but IMO...McLane would probably be my top choice for foodservice. I've heard about those guys making well over $120k per year. As far as LTL...any of them would be a good choice. Pass on Central Transport...they seem to be the worst of them all. But even with LTL...you can start off as a casual, extra board or on call...depending on who you work for. Saia is the only one I can think of that'll start you off at top rate...for both city and road. Good luck on whatever path you choose :)

Danny707 Thanks this.
  8. rowekmr

rowekmr Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I just applied for for local PO job that was titled "Tractor Trailer Operator - Career Job w/Benefits"
    I used to watch for these jobs and applied for a few last year. The first one sent me a USPS Priority Mail letter for interview the same day of the interview (after the time). I promptly called the contact number and she said that they are not responsible for the mail delivery. She told me to reapply. The second location had me come in for interview and I believe (not sure) I got a rejection letter a few weeks later. After that interview the other applications I put in didn't amount to even an interview so I stopped applying.

If I could guess my mistake at the interview is that although I met the minimum requirements for driving trucks the majority of my experience has been in straight truck and I think I confused or misstated my tractor experience. My background is I drove straight trucks for schools system, armored trucks and construction company then got a full time municipal job (not driving trucks) for 20 years and drove trucks on the side for small companies. Nevertheless I will better explain better if I get an interview.

I took an early retirement from main job and would like to get back into trucking but not into OTR and like the regional home nightly scenario. When I worked for the schools I loved the short trips to many schools unloading/loading the privatized/laid off drivers is why I stopped.

So unto my questions.
    1. What is the hiring process? I know there is an interview and read here a drug test, is there a driving test?
    2. What do they check for in the background check is it just criminal or does it go into each past job worked?
    3. I read the job listing and it doesn't state career or full time/part time so can I assume its a non career (temp) working a min hour hours with benefits.
    4. Is OT mandatory or optional?
    5. Is this basically moving mail from main PO to the satellite PO and back to main? Or does this include interstate transport.
    6. Are the newer day cab trucks manual or automatic transmission. The trailers I see are smaller than the typical 53' dry van is that the majority of what you haul?

Also any advice?

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  9. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Yes there is a driving test. There's also a 90 probation period that you have to pass too.
    They do both...10 year work history and a FBI criminal background check.
    It is a career position. Any postings that says "Tractor Trailer Driver" (TTO) means it's a career position. What it does not state is that you'll start off as a PTF (Part Time Flexy), which is still a career position...just not full-time. Non career would be a PSE (Postal Support Employee) TTO. They would specify that on the job posting.
    OT would be mandatory as a PTF...but not as a FTR (Full-Time Regular) because of the ODL list. Since PTF's are considered part time and not full-time, they are restricted to a certain amount of hours per week per our union contract. It doesn't mean you can't get no OT, it all depends on how much work is available and how understaffed they are. PTF's can work 100 hours per week if they are needed.
    Both. Collection of mail and parcels are mostly done during the day. It then gets sorted and reloaded onto the shuttle trailers to be sent to other P&DC, NDC, L&DC, airport, etc. Similar to LTL. Long distance runs are contracted and that's basically OTR, which we do not do.
    All tractors and straight trucks are automatics. Trailers can vary from 28' to 53'. Majority of the trailers are leased...which is what we call "common fleets". We also have government owned trailers called "MVS trailers", and they have no license plate or registration.
    Since the majority of your experience is in a straight truck, I would probably suggest applying for a Class B MVO (Motor Vehicle Operator) position...if any are available in your area. Seeing how your located in Chicago, there are a lot of tight places in the major cities. I spend a lot of time blind siding a 53' trailer in certain places.

10. cmetrucks

cmetrucks Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2020
    3rd time with the background paperwork and consent and 2nd drug screen completed today, Just a waiting game

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted