PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. canthinkofanotherusername

canthinkofanotherusername Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Yeah that’s what I thought I can feel Uncle Sam ‘s hands on my shoulders already

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  2. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Make sure he washed those hands. He may have Coronavirus ha ha :D:p

3. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Anybody else worried about this coronavirus? I mean let's be real. Some of our drivers are slobs. Sneezing, coughing, spitting food, seeds, snot rockets, boogers, all kinds of disgusting unmentionables. Clorox isn't enough to clean some of these cabs. You might have to just throw a bomb in to destroy all the nasty filthy things in there.

Being a 24/7 slip seat operation locked in a small daycab could be a perfect environment to pass the virus around. It has me a little concerned...especially the way this virus is spreading around. I'm sure this also applies to any other company out there that slipseats.

Shaximat and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    What’s the post office saying about this? I mean the mail must get through

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Oh it's definitely disrupting mail service over seas, especially to China. A lot of airlines have either stopped or delayed sending priority mail and parcels to areas known to be high risks areas. Places like China can't send anything in or out, so it's dramatically impacted how long anything gets delivered.

I just recently looked at our railyards and they were completely empty. I mean nada...zilch. If this keeps on going, it's gonna be hard to recover and get back to normal business as usual.

As far as the PO itself, we've already have 1 confirmed case from a clerk who tested positive for the coronavirus. USPS is working directly with the CDC and the unions to make sure that there are guidelines and rules now to make sure no one else gets infected. They already made it PO policy to make sure that management have gloves and masks available upon request. Hand sanitizers are becoming extinct now. We got a lot of workers already walking around with masks and gloves because of this pandemic...and it's only gonna get worse :(

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I was out last night the CSX side was all clogged up with intermodal trains. Most of them were domestic shipping containers but that’s all I saw were intermodal trains but that could drop off once the system is empty. I guess the ports are starting to run dry.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  7. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    The ripple effects from this pandemic is affecting everything. The roads and highways was empty today. Nobody was going out to the malls or shopping like they would on a normal saturday. Stores were empty, restaurants...concerts, sports events shutdown, etc. I can't imagine businesses can stay open if nobody shows up.

I would imagine this will also affect the food service industry if nobody is going out to eat at the restaurants, schools being closed down, sporting events, etc. Have any of this affected you guys at GFS? The only thing that keeps popping into my head is this song......

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  8. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    It will. Friday we had 60,000 cases at our warehouse which is really just medium busy that’s about 600 cases a route. I was busy on a volume route doing hospitals and nursing homes. However A lot of our business is schools, day cares and public institutions like that so that’s going to affect us.

Restaurants though I think are going to be down. I was out last night and traffic was eerily light.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  9. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    The only thing going heavy right now are domestic manufacturing , like box factories, paper processing plants, bottled water factories and there vendors and the dry side of a lot of grocery warehouses.

OHio suspended HOS for intrastate trucking so supplies could get through.

Right now certain carriers the ones who work for the box factories are all running pretty heavy and have all kinds of work.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  10. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I personally haven't felt the effects yet. It's still the same business as usual for us...or least at my barn.

One thing about us is that the mail NEVER stops. Whether we pickup and delivery 1 piece of mail or a whole truckload, everything has to go out on a timely manner. Delaying the flow of mail is a federal crime, so it can never stop. But on the flip side, were not a public company either, so it's kinda different for us as a government agency.

But yeah, brick and mortar stores are probably gonna suffer a bit if they can't their crap from China. Grocery stores are having less and less food options. It may actually increase online orders, since nobody wants to go outside now...so I wouldn't be surprise if a spike in e-commerce happens as well...which would be good news for us :thumbup:.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted