PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I went out tonight pretty quiet this restaurant was closed down early.

traffics light, places are closed and rail traffic is light.
    28F780C0-3900-42F6-A8EB-B1762362C830.jpeg 06253AE1-12FF-4F8F-B903-B5C5D8C52A0A.jpeg B282E879-79AC-4A4E-B87D-FDA291A16E87.jpeg 0ED7A9A9-A2BA-4233-9280-A36C36BA3FD4.jpeg D1425F25-0B64-48E1-BF21-C7A0632A0204.jpeg

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  2. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Mike2633 and McUzi Thank this.
  3. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Shaximat and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. McUzi

McUzi Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Well, USPS contacted me again on Monday, telling me that instead of the in person interview that they normally do, that they wanted to do it over the phone over this COVID-19 stuff, which was great because that meant I didn't have to leave work to do the interview.

The interview was held with the Transportation Manager and another Manager (I forget the title) from the same office. Both were incredibly fun to talk to, and had a sense of humor as well. The other manager I assume would be the manager this TTO position would report to. They asked about my background, what interests me in USPS, how I'd describe my driving record and the like. Very easy interview.

10 drivers in this facility, 1 PTF, and that is what they are hiring for. I brought up what kind of hours I'd be looking at and they started with "We can't guarantee any hours, but..." and then the transportation manager told me in his years of hiring for this facility, drivers have never worked less than 35 hours a week and that I'd probably be looking at anywhere from 1.5-2 years to become a full time employee based on their average time frames. Told me his most senior drivers are in their mid sixties and have mentioned retirement recently, so his estimate could be spot on or incredibly overestimated.

The starting pay is a turn off, but the retirement possibilities are what makes me seriously consider this position. Especially with it being 3 miles from my home. We'll see. The P/T gig I have going currently would help to ease that financial offset, by my calculations anyway.

Mike2633 and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    2 years as a PTF is a really long time. With only 10 drivers and 1 PTF, I don't see that much OT for anybody. You're schedule is gonna be really erratic with only 1 or 2 PTF's to cover all 3 tours. With no consistent schedule...you might not have a chance to work your other part-time job. IMHO...I would seriously pass on the job. It doesn't look to promising to me. Unless you have other interests besides trucking, it could be a stepping stone to advance to a higher level job...such as being a supervisor, maintenance mechanic, VMF mechanic, driver instructor, etc.

BigDog Trucker, McUzi and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. longhaultransport

longhaultransport Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    West Central, Florida
    And the retirement is not as good as it used to be, like back during the CSRS days.

1% per year of your average high 3. And that is if it stays open long enough for you to retire.

Much better jobs out there right now for clean CDL drivers.

McUzi Thanks this.
  7. McUzi

McUzi Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Valid points. I’m not one to shy away from an interview though.

Upward mobility and retirement are really the only draws to it, though, making it an unreasonable option, but somewhat of a pipe dream for a guy supporting a family on a single income.

I’m holding out for IBEW, secretly.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  8. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    To tell you the truth, you're family is the reason why I recommended passing on the job. I've read some of your posts on FXF and Cryo and to be honest with you...I thought you must've lost your mind when you left FXF :confused:. Over $90k your first year??? Yeah, I definitely thought you lost your mind...lol. But knowing that you did it to spend more time with your family...I can't help but give you mad respect for what you did. And that's why I new that giving up cryo or fuel hauling at your current job...just to go back to having an inconsistent schedule at the PO would make leaving FXF pointless.

But anyways, good luck on your future endeavors.

authentic251 and McUzi Thank this.
  9. McUzi

McUzi Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Agreed on the part of leaving FXF would have been pointless.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  10. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    You had an actual interview with questions? That’s actually surprising. It’s too hard to say, ten full time and one PTF is pretty #### small so I couldn’t even begin to comment on how things work there. It takes about two years to turn regular here but that’s 100+ regulars and 20+ PTF’s.

McUzi Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted