PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Well, we new this was gonna happen sooner or later. We got a couple workers who got covid19. It's spreading like wildfire within my district and got everybody in a panic. Many people decided not to come in to work indefinitely, which made our barn even more understaffed. They're using approved leave (annual leave, sick leave, administrative leave, or leave without pay) with no repercussions until our barn is deep cleaned. Many are still coming in to work, including me, but are being VERY cautious to their surrounding's...wearing rubber gloves, face masks, and sanitizers at practically every corner of the building. It's starting to look more like a hospital now than a postal facility. NYC is really being hit hard. I hope all you guys working in the boroughs are OK and safe. They got some stations that are putting up plastic curtains at the counters.....

EUIoudyWAAE0rbT.jpeg

The Bronx recently had a 50 year old letter carrier with 23 years of service who passed away from the virus. My condolences to him and his family :(. Total count so far is roughly around 111 nationwide, over 2000 quarantined, and 1 confirmed passing.

Finfn1372 Thanks this.
  2. Grindtime109

Grindtime109 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2020
    You're in Buffalo?

Nobody here got that virus but they gave us a bunch of papers to sign. People are taking precautions but as typical with human nature nobody takes it serious until it hits close to home.

3. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Mind if I ask what district your in? We have some cases in the plants but management is being very hush hush about it. We actually had a service talk saying we could be put off the clock for spreading rumors. Management will not confirm or tell us anything and I think that’s wrong.

snowbird_89 Thanks this.
  4. Grindtime109

Grindtime109 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2020
    I agree. A family member caught the virus and the state of NY has been confused, indecisive or quiet about the situation.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Same thing with postal management. They don't give a crap about the workers that actually push the mail. All they care about is hitting they're numbers and making themselves look good and getting that bonus check. They put all of our lives in jeopardy by not telling us what's going on. It's the same crap that happened when we had the anthrax attacks.

It's the union that's been giving updates about what's ACTUALLY happening and which barns and stations have been infected. Management hasn't done ANYTHING to inform us of what's going on. It's only when people start refusing to come in to work do they finally do something to prevent the virus from spreading...SMH :biggrin_25513:

Shaximat and snowbird_89 Thank this.
  6. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    That's the same way with UPS (small lPackage) here in Chicago...don't care about the workers..Office is locked up like Fort Knox don't dare come in there....3 little bottles of sanitizer with a roll of paper towels ,on the main entrance area.. take one sheet and hope for the best..in fact a triples feeder driver just passed away last weekend from this same building..i knew the guy too...not personally ..but I spoke to him a couple times...Good job but not kool people to work for..

7. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Not sure what the outcome of this pandemic is gonna affect us in the next couple month's. The PO is considered essential service...so we are still required to work during this lockdown. Even though online orders has gone way up...it still doesn't make up for all the lost business we need to be self sustained. Express mail has gone way down due to airlines being shutdown. Businesses have closed down during this pandemic...but the ones that still remain opened seem to have doubled or tripled their orders due to increase in online orders. Some of my business pickups can't keep up with online orders. I personally haven't seen any slowdown on my end as far as parcel volume and transporting mail. Letter mail and FSS flats has definitely seem to have gone down even more than usual because of this lockdown. Every day it seems more and more postal employee's are contracting the virus throughout the nation. The workforce is slowly getting smaller and smaller...so much so that the PO is asking retiree's to come out of retirement to serve their country again. But I don't see any of them coming back. Why would somebody who's most likely over 60 years old want to take the chance of jeopardizing their life knowing that covid19 affects the elderly the most????

This is definitely some unusual time's right now. It almost doesn't feel real. Like a dream that you can't wake up from. It feels like something you would see in the movies...like and episode of the twilight zone...

[​IMG]

8. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Another thing I'd like to mention is that as public servants, we are sworn by oath to protect and serve our country. Management has been using this oath to try to make some of us come in to work knowing that people have been infected and how easily this virus is spreading around. CDC, white house, and local governments have rules and recommendations on covid19 as well as postal and union agreements. Most postal employee's are still doing their civic duty by coming in to work to serve the public, but technically if they chose not to come in under stress and unsafe conditions, they could literally stay out for up to 2 years or more by using their accumulated annual and sick leave and still receive a steady paycheck. Anything beyond their accumulated leave would receive no pay and have to be used under FMLA or LWOP (Leave With Out Pay).

Shaximat Thanks this.
  9. Shaximat

Shaximat Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2017
    How about use of administrative leave if you are sick? Do we cover by that or still have to use our sick or annual leave?

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  10. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    You get paid 14 days of administrative leave if you have covid19 or show symptoms of the virus. If you worked in an area where someone was confirmed with the virus, either you can self quarantine or management can send you home until everything is confirmed that you are safe and not at risk of being a danger to your fellow employees.

Effective April 1 FFCRAA (Families First Coronavirus Response Act) went into effect and added 2 additional types of leave in addition to your normal leave that you receive.....

Families First Coronavirus Recovery Act | American Postal Workers Union

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Shaximat and LTL2PO Thank this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted