PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I think the reason why there's so many accidents at the Capital Heights terminal is because it's located within the DC Beltway. It's the reason why insurance rates are usually higher in cities compared to the suburbs because it's more densely populated and thus more prone to accidents.

I use deliver all around the Beltway right around the time the DC Sniper was running rampant. They had everybody around the beltway nervous and ducking for cover. When you mentioned Capital Heights, it took a while for me to remember that area and to be 100% honest with you, I don't know if this location would be the best place to start your Career. Capital Heights is within the DC District, so that means your gonna be working all around the DC Beltway. Each Postal Facility works within a District and they collect Mail ONLY within it's District. The only time you MAY be going out of your District is when your shuttling Mail to anouther Postal Distribution Center in anouther District. And I'll be honest with you, some of these smaller Postal Stations in the city are REALLY TIGHT, even for the 7 ton straight trucks to get into. So that's why I'm thinking that barn probably has so many accidents there.

I'm not trying to discourage you from taking the job in DC, I'm only looking out for your best interest and telling you what to expect. The Union can't really help you out during your 90 day probation, so if you do wind up getting into an accident, that MAY be the end of your Postal Career. Now once you get past your 90 day probation, that's a different story, but IMO....I personally think you should wait it out and take a chance at Norfolk instead. DC is no joke, even for the most experienced driver....and Norfolk would be a MUCH BETTER area to start your Postal Career. But whatever decision you decide to make, I'll try to help you out the best I can.

Bob Dobalina and AnthonyM757 Thank this.
  2. AnthonyM757

AnthonyM757 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Hey Sho, thanks for that very detailed insight. If I don't say it enough, I really appreciate all your help regarding all of this.. I've only been driving a year and a half and I haven't even held my CDL for 2 yet...

I think I'll take your advice and wait it out with Norfolk, if that doesn't work, there's a few companies around here that I'll also look into...

But I think the biggest one is my mother... She's in a depressed state in her life right now, and I'm all she has.. She wouldn't tell me, but if I moved out of state, it would crush her...

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  3. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Hiring 15 Full-time Career Drivers is unheard of. Either Capital Heights has so much work that they can't fill these bidded runs OR they're losing so many drivers and can't fill the runs. When you mentioned replacing bad drivers, that to me was a RED FLAG.

You know what they say...."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". And besides, I know you want to leave your job for a better one, but you can do A LOT worse than working at Coke as a Bulk Diver. I know Drivers that'll literally KILL to be in your position. No joke.

The Post Office will always be there. Just make sure to take your time, protect your CDL and driving record and good things will eventually come out of it.

I think this video pretty much sums it up....

AnthonyM757 Thanks this.
  4. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Since they're planning on hiring a lot of PSE's again, I figured I mind as well post the updated contract.

PSE's are ONLY being brought back to cover the newly created runs that were formerly contracted work. They're new contract is a lot better compared to the old one. Here's a list of what PSE's get now.....

1. PSE's get six paid holidays now, as compared to none before.

2. Benefits are available immediately upon hiring and not after a year of service.

3. PSE's will now have a Uniform allowance, as to none before.

4. PSE's are still not allowed to go over 40 hours.

5. PSE's are not eligible for Pension or TSP until converted to Career.

6. PSE's can accumulate hours for Annual Leave.

7. And PSE's get a gradual increase in raises as well.

Once a PSE is converted to Career Status (PTF or Full-time), they're pay level DOES NOT DROP to the beginning starting Career pay level. It remains the same upon Conversion.

skinnytrucker and Cm0806 Thank this.
  5. Cm0806

Cm0806 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Sounds good,makes me wanna apply just to get in but I don't know if I can do it with 40hrs

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  6. donald47129

donald47129 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2017
    The TTO position that just closed for Louisville/Kutuckiana is said to be hiring 9 FT Career Drivers.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  7. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    They tend to put PTF and TTO in the same category since they're both Career positions. Post # 393 and # 396 may answer your question. But like I mentioned before, every Postal Facility operates differently, so you won't know what it actually is until your interview.

8. donald47129

Aug 19, 2017
    I was ASSuming they were TTO because they stated a specific shift. Either way I am taking it if offered.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  9. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Good luck. And by the way, serving in the Military is treated as previous employment, so if you served....let's say 10 years in the Military, you automatically start off with 10 years worth of Annual Leave (which is like having almost 3 months of Vacation Time). And I THINK this also includes Pension and Accrued Sick Days as well.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  10. donald47129

Aug 19, 2017
    Yes, military service and/or prior civilian federal service counts for leave accural, but I think that those numbers are a little off...

FROM. Benefits

"The Postal Service offers generous annual (vacation) and sick leave – 13 days of annual leave per year for the first 3 years, increasing to 20 days per year after 3 years of service, and to 26 days per year after 15 years of service."

Day 1 to 3 years is 4 hours a pay period or 13 - 8 hour days.

3 years to 15 years is 6 hours a pay period or 20 - 8 hour days.

15+ years is 8 hours a pay period or 26 - 8 hour days.

Including weeksends, even with 15 years of service it does not come out to 3 months.

• Draft saved Draft deleted