PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    If you drive a Straight Truck, you're gonna have to unload because you can't drop a Straight Truck like you can a Trailer. But even then, everything is on APC Cages or Hampers, which are all on wheels, so you just push the Mail off. Really simple work.

Straight Trucks primarily are day work because you have to pickup all the Mail at the Smaller Postal Stations before they close. Now the "Smaller Postal Stations" (the kind you find at Malls and Shopping Centers) are usually too small for Tractor Trailers to fit in and can only be picked up by the Straight Trucks. They also do business freight pickups as well where you might pickup pallets and such.

TTO's also have to help load and unload at certain locations, especially if you do STC Express runs, Priority, Carrier Annex, Airport, and at some Smaller Distribution Centers. But like I mentioned, it's all on wheels, so nothing really difficult or strenuous. And there are a lot of drop and hook runs as well.

ClassB and JV_620 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JV_620

JV_620 Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    Hmm, can you explain what the APC cages or hampers are or how they are used when an MVO unloads the straight truck? Mostly day work though...I can deal with that but I would like to try some OT as well. Just a question of how much a new hire can get. Anyways, I am on the pre hire list, so I hope that it is not too much longer but I would not be surprised if it is.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  4. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I briefly read your post before the edit, and it's something you and your family are gonna have to discuss on whether USPS is right job for your current situation NOW. Not everybody can afford to wait years to become Full-time, but the window of opportunity to start off Career in our Craft is slowly closing, from what I am seeing. They're planning on hiring A LOT of PSE's again, which is a Non Career Position, so like I mentioned before, your gonna have to REALLY THINK about whether USPS is right for you. But if you ask anybody who's hauled Mail before, they'll most likely tell you it's the best job they ever had.

5. AnthonyM757

AnthonyM757 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2015
    My goodness does it sometimes take over 2+ months to hear something from a facility???

I've been stuck on the 'pre-hire' list for a long time now, starting to get worried:(:(

I heard back from, Cleveland, DC, and Miami super quick (less than 3 weeks all together)

I hope they didn't already conduct interviews :(

JV_620 and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  6. canthinkofanotherusername

canthinkofanotherusername Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    The position I am starting in a week and a half is a career position but I had also applied for a spotter position at the bmc across the street because I didn't know if I was going to get the position at the gmf location and now the bmc is asking me to give consent for background checks I was just wondering if it's wrong to continue with that when I've already accepted the other position I'd rather have the spotter position but I guess it's not going to work out that way

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  7. canthinkofanotherusername

Aug 31, 2017
    I had an interview in April didn't hear a thing until late July I think some shops are slower than others

AnthonyM757 Thanks this.
  8. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I think a lot of people would love to have your problem right now lol. You got two places fighting for you.

Either way you're in. The BMC is gonna be a MUCH bigger barn to work at. And who now's if you'll start off as a PTF or Full-time. You're already scheduled to start in less than 2 weeks. FULL-TIME at that. So I can't really say what decision you should make. But once your in the door, you can always request a transfer over to the BMC at a later date.

9. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    APC Cages are just lite metal racks that they put Mail on. Hampers are orange baskets that they throw Parcels or Mail in. They're all lite weight and easy to push around and that's what you'll mainly work with when your driving in a Straight Truck.

JV_620 Thanks this.
  10. canthinkofanotherusername

Aug 31, 2017
    Well they both say career positions but I don't know if that can be ptf or ftf? I spoke to a driver from gmf he said I'd start off as ptf but I thought they said ftf at interview but that was almost 5 months ago. I guess I didn't know if I should continue pursuing bmc position since I already accepted tto position at gmf they both say 40 hrs per week no ot

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  11. ClassB

ClassB Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Syracuse, New York
    If you ever watched the show border security...when they have clips at the JFK airport, you can see APCs filled with packages. They can get pretty heavy though...and wheels tend to not want to work. Alot.

From the sounds of it, MVO has a nice job.

JV_620 and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted