PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Yep....and a lot of times people tend to forget to unlock the wheels too. I've done that plenty of times myself :confused: :D

On a side note...If anyone wants to know what a APC Cage looks like, watch the video on post # 188. You'll see an APC Cage (which is the tall rack) in the background at the beginning of the video.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    JV_620 and ClassB Thank this.
  2. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I must of misunderstood some of your earlier comments when you mentioned Full-time. Both PTF's and Full-time are Career positions, but a PTF (Part Time Flexy) is not a Full time position though.

Starting off Full-time is rare in our Craft. Most, if not all, will start off as a PTF or PSE. Only Full-time Career are allowed to sign up on the ODL List (which is the Overtime Desired List), so when you mentioned no OT, that only applies to PTF's. It doesn't mean you won't get any OT. It all depends on who's on vacation, if someone calls out, extra work that needs to be covered, or if a Fulltimer wants no OT. You're not bound by the less than 40 hours a week rule like PSE's are. You guys can work 100 hours a week if there's work available. And with Peak Season and all the Contracted work we're picking up, you might just get that too lol.

3. canthinkofanotherusername

canthinkofanotherusername Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Thanks for clarifying that for me I guess when it said career I thought that ment full time I used to see the PSE jobs posted all the time but they said it wouldn't last more than 359 days I didn't want to leave my current job for that

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  4. ClassB

ClassB Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Syracuse, New York
    PSEs have to take a 5 day break once a year. Youre technically not an employee for those 5 days. But unless there is zero work, youll be back. Ive had 2 break in services so far. Not so bad. my first one I got extended to 14 days (with unused AL) and got married/honeymooned before coming back

5. canthinkofanotherusername

canthinkofanotherusername Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2017
    So what exactly is the difference between PSE and career just the benefits ?

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  6. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I think you would have to start from the beginning on post # 1 if we're going back to PSE's again lol.

PSE's are "Non Career" employee's, meaning your basically a Casual, Extra Board, Vacation Relief. It's no different than say starting off on the Docks, Extra Board or Casual at an LTL Company before you land a Full-time gig. Only difference between PSE's in the old contract compared to the new contract is that PSE's can get benefits from day one now, as to after a year in the old contract. They also get paid holidays as well. Read post # 414 which is the new PSE contract. And also, it was probably better to turn Full-time in the old contract as compared to the new one, because now you have to go up 2 seniority boards before you turn Full-time Career (which is the PSE and PTF list) as compared to only one before. That's why I don't see us hiring a lot of PSE's again.

7. ClassB

ClassB Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Syracuse, New York
    What @Sho Nuff said
    If its good...you probably dont have it as a PSE. :D

8. matt1357

matt1357 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I just interviewed and was offered a PTF(part time flexible) they said they have like 28 ptf and 101 full timers. How long you think it would take me to get full time? Also PTF gets no pension right? Only full time?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  9. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    28 PTF's?....OUCH! It can take years to turn Full-time. You would have to wait for 28 Fulltimers to retire OR if new runs we're created that would allow the top PTF's to fill these positions.

And YES, PTF's get a pension. They basically get EVERYTHING that Fulltimers get. Only thing they don't get is holiday pay (which is built into your payrate) and a bidded run. And they can't sign up on the ODL list either. But other than that, they're really isn't any difference as far as pay, bennies and retirement.

On the plus side, you're pay raises, doubletime pay, sunday premium, shift differential, etc. will be the same as ours. On the down side, you're not guaranteed 40 hours a week like Fulltimers are. So like I mentioned before, REALLY THINK about whether you're willing to be a Casual/Floater for YEARS before you turn Full-time.

10. AnthonyM757

AnthonyM757 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Now I'm kicking myself, I should've taken the opportunity in Capitol Heights MD, when they offered me a position...

I reached out to the Norfolk plant to see if they were doing interviews, apparently they've already done the first round, and are now reaching out to those who scored in the "low 90s" in the coming weeks...

I checked my score and it's 71... I don't even remember taking an assessment test at all...

Would it be too late to contact Capitol Heights and try to get on board?

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted