PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    PTF TTO "IS" a Career Employee. PSE TTO is a "Non Career" employee. So unless you got hired as a PSE TTO, you "ARE" a Career Employee.

Benefits are usually offered after your 90 day probation period. Most new hirees also join the Union after they pass they're 90 day as well, because the the Union can't really help you out during that time. Once you pass your 90 day, your good to go. Good luck and welcome aboard. :)

ClassB and Newbee dude Thank this.
  2. theboss3453

theboss3453 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Hey bro, how are you liking it so far?

3. ClassB

ClassB Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Syracuse, New York
    Welcome to the wacky shack :D

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  4. donald47129

donald47129 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2017
    I have made it all the way thru, got my start letter yesterday. Start date 10/2. TTO-PTF.

5. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    As Peak Season starts getting closer and closer, hiring of seasonal worker's is a necessity during the holidays, not just for us, but for UPS and Fed Ex as well. E-commerce has been exceptionally good for the Parcel Industry. Not only are we the largest delivery service for Amazon, but overall, we are the largest delivery service for e-commerce. Period.

Unlike UPS or Fed Ex, we are not stock driven, nor do we have to answer to shareholders. And we don't use a dime of tax payers money either. The Postal Service is far from being dead. Yes the prefunding of our Pension and Healthcare is still a hurdle we have to figure out, but the shift to e-commerce has allowed us to show big gains in profit year after year. It's allowing us to revamp and update our outdated fleet. New delivery van's and trailers has already been introduced and eventually new tractors as well, which should be somewhere in 2019.

Now the interesting thing about the increase in online orders is that it has been exceptionally well for UPS and Fed Ex as well. Maybe too good. Amazon's attempt to eliminate UPS and Fed Ex doesn't seem to appear it's gonna happen anytime soon. And with the ever increase in online orders, it also means you have to have the logistics to handle the demand too. Unlike UPS or Fed EX, we deliver to every single household in the United States, practically every single day. If you have a Mail Box, it's our job to deliver it to you. UPS has to invest heavily in increasing there logistics in order to keep up with the demand for online orders, which means they have to expand their operations. Same goes with Fed Ex as well, although they have faired better than UPS overall and during Peak Season, as well as in spikes and surges in e-commerce due to having a separate air and ground network. And with all the investments that UPS is putting into there logistics, as well as they're payscale and healthcare coverage, drastic cuts in pension and healthcare has caused friction with the Teamsters. Air Craft workers are still planning on voting to strike, which can cripple the holiday peak season if they do. And more than 100 retirees protested recently about a 20% planned reduction in the already bankrupt Central States Pension Fund. And UPS is planning on charging an additional fee for holiday season delivery as well, which Fed Ex countered by stating no additional fees will be charged...

FedEx Will Shun Most Home Holiday Fees, Unlike UPS

Amazon is still continuing it's expansion in the grocery and food market. They already purchased Whole Foods and are offering 1 hour wine delivery, and now they just started with Amazon Restaurants.....

www.today.com/amp/food/amazon-now-bringing-chipotle-shake-shack-your-door-t116628

And even Walmart is trying to get into the delivery side by offering delivery straight to your fridge....

Why the Future Could Mean Delivery Straight Into Your Fridge

It seems that Walmart's attempt to compete with Amazon has them either copying Amazon's crazy ideas, such as a floating warehouse, or trying to counter their ideas in a different manner.

The Postal Service still has it's own set of problems that need to be addressed, especially with Trump's plan to reduce retirement benefits and operational cuts, but overall, the Postal Service is doing a helluva lot better now and is far from being dead.

6. Lost in net

Lost in net Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2017
    So are the jobs for TTO PTF permanent or temp jobs, I have an interview on Wednesday for that position and I don't want to give up my current job to go into a temp. Thanks!

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  7. donald47129

Aug 19, 2017
    Permanent. There are 52 page preceeding this page that go over that.

8. mightytrucker

mightytrucker Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Hey guys, I’ve been lurking on this thread for sometime now. I just got invited for an interview this Thursday at the Boston location. The job title just says Tractor Trailer Operator. No mention if it’s a PSE or PTF or anything else. Do any of you guys know what this means?
    Any tips for the interview?
    Thanks a bunch

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  9. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    There's basically two workforces in our Craft. There's Career (which includes PTF and Full-time) and then there's Non Career (which is a PSE TTO). The job title "Tractor Trailer Operator" means it's a Career position and it also includes PTF as well. Like I mentioned in previous posts, starting off Full-time is rare in our Craft and your gonna have to put in your dues as a PTF for how ever long it takes to turn Full-time. So unless the job posting has a PSE in it, it's a Career position.
    Don't quit your job yet. As you can see from the many different applicants on this thread, it takes a VERY LONG TIME to actually be hired.

PTF TTO is a permanent position, but it is not Full time though and your not guaranteed 8 a day 40 a week like Fulltimers are. Each barn runs differently. Some barns you get unlimited OT and others you may get none. So what I would suggest is WHEN or IF you have your interview, ask how many PTF's they have and ask how many hours they are getting as well. Also, if you get a chance to talk to one of the drivers, ask them the same questions too and then base your decision on whether it's worth it or not to leave your job.

ClassB Thanks this.
  10. donald47129

Aug 19, 2017
    My interview was very relaxed. They really just covered what was already in the announcement and then asked some of the same questions that were in the application process. My interview was not a group interview as I have heard others have experienced. After the interview I was taken to do the road test, which consisted of backing only; never left the parking lot / dock area. Post office is business causal, so that is how I dressed.

• Draft saved Draft deleted