PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. mightytrucker

mightytrucker Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Thanks for the prompt reply. My buddy, who indicated this job, currently works there and was told they need 10 drivers. Hopefully that means that at least some will be full time.
    Than

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  2. mightytrucker

Dec 2, 2015
    Sounds pretty relaxed. The only thing I’m nervous about is that I’ve been hauling cars for a little over an year. So it’s been a while since I’ve backed into docks. I might be a little rusty, hopefully it won’t be too difficult

3. donald47129

donald47129 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2017
    The guy who did mine asked me if I wanted to practice. He said as long as I don't hit anything and limit my pull-ups to less than 100, it would be no big deal.

4. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Talk to your buddy and find out how many PTF's they have. If they have over 20, I would really consider looking at a different job, because it probably means your gonna be a PTF for YEARS. And you may be taking a drastic pay cut IF you decide to take the job. It all depends on how much OT your barn will allow. PTF's around my area work around 6-7 days a week, so they're making really good money. But some barns I know, PTF's are getting less than 40 a week. So talk to your buddy and get the inside scoop on how your barn operates and THEN decide whether it's worth it or not to pursue a Career at the Postal Service. Good luck.

5. Mr804

Mr804 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2017
    @Sho Nuff I got hired as a PSE tto at my barn after 7mths of waiting. Following this thread I asked what number i was in hiring ? They said #1 and stated that there PSE quote hadn't been met. He also explained that the last PSE where bumped up to ptfs within there first mth. But advised that there also short of ptfs bc of retirees also. So I asked "Well why can't you hire me as a ptf verses PSE if I want the job and #1 in PSE hiring".? He stated that BC of red tape he couldn't, apwu rules or something to that effect does this sound right to you.? On top of that they repost the PSE position a week ago.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Yes it does sound about right. PSE was eliminated in our Craft last year and the ONLY reason why they are being brought back is to cover all the contracted work that we're taking back from the HCR drivers. So PSE's will ONLY be covering the newly created runs, and nothing else as per our Union contract. Now being #1 on the PSE list, and what you mentioned about retirees, it appears that you'll be converted to Career rather quickly. Contractically they are limited to how many PTF's they can hire as well. So if there are Fulltimers retiring, that means the top PTF will be converted to Full-time, and the top PSE will be converted to a Career PTF. If this makes any sense. :confused: :D

Mr804 Thanks this.
  7. Mr804

Mr804 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Thanks @Sho Nuff for the quick response and answering a lot of the questions on this tread. Salute to you sir. it just seemed odd that they can't find drivers. But long term this is what I want to do so I'll keep pushing to the top. Over the road for 9yrs compared to this is night and day.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  8. mightytrucker

Dec 2, 2015
    Hey guys, just giving an update on my interview today.
    So we had a group interview. About 10 guys showed. We had a lady from human resources quickly go over pay and benefits. Then the manager of TTO came in and gave the details about the actual job. We would all be hired as PTF. I asked how long the line was for regular and he never fully answered the question. We then had a sort of private interview with the manager for what seemed like 10 minutes. It was really broad and not very specific at all. We were told that we would receive either a conditional job over or a rejection via email. If we got the job offer, we would then go through background checks, mvr check, references, etc. The whole process would probably take over 2 months.
    Overall, I really like the environment. It seems like a great place to work. But I am a bit worried about how long I would have to be a PTF. I am not sure if I would accept the job offer if I were to even get one.
    Thanks for all the info in the thread, it was really great.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  9. donald47129

donald47129 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2017
    How many positions are they filling? What position on the list are you?

10. ClassB

ClassB Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Syracuse, New York
    Ptf is still better than PSE

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted