PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. JV_620

JV_620 Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    Back on this thread,

An Update: I applied for an MVO Class B position in Boston back in August. Was finally turned down or 'not selected' in January.
    Job came back up last week, applied 3/23, and am now selected for an interview on 4/6 at 09:00.

Any tips on what to expect in the interview? Looks like it will be a seminar going over lots of stuff as well.

HYPED! :D:D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JV_620

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    Interview went well this past Friday. Seems like a good group to work with. Was told in the interview that I need to keep an eye on my e-mail for the next steps which, barring any major catastrophe which I do not see happening, drug test is next followed by second background check. Should hear between the next 4-6 weeks on when the drug test will be and where at as well. From that point, a conditional offer should come through and if I accept which I intend to do, then another week or so for an orientation date, then a 3 day orientation class, followed by about 1.5 weeks of on-the-road and skills training in the actual trucks.

Looking promising but it's not quite there yet. Wish me luck and to all of the others trying to get in..:)

4. JV_620

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    This should break it down for how my application process went or has been going with the USPS. I received a conditional offer on Thursday April 19, 2017. Accepted on 04/20/2017 and am waiting to hear more. Here is the breakdown. I applied 4 different times for this position:

04/30/2017 - MVO - Level 6 Application (1st)
    04/30/2017 - Assessment Exam 230/240
    05/09/2017 - Failed assessment exam
    08/23/2017 - MVO Application (2nd)
    08/24/2017 - Assessment Exam 230/240
    08/29/2017 - MVO Application (3rd)
    08/31/2017 - Assessment Exam (230/240)
    09/01/2017 - MVR background search e-mail received
    12/27/2017 - Non-select e-mail received
    12/29/2017 - Non-select e-mail received
    03/23/2018 - MVO Application (4th)
    04/02/2018 - Invite to Interview e-mail received
    04/06/2018 - Boston Interview
    04/09/2018 - MVR background search e-mail received
    04/19/2018 - Conditional job offer w/2 drug test requirements & criminal background check e-mail received
    04/21/2018 - Pre-employment drug test taken

Shaximat Thanks this.
  5. donald150

donald150 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2014
    I've read a decent chunk of this thread and I was wondering Is there anyone on here that is working out of the Pontiac Michigan Metroplex?
    I am trying to get some information regarding that specific location.

6. Ozemandea

Ozemandea Bobtail Member

May 5, 2018
    Well, I just recently got my tentative offer of employment from the USPS to work as a PSE TTO. And the thing is, from what I have read it seems most others have to wait a while to get in to the USPS ...

But I only applied around 6 days ago and they said I should be working sometime next week ... is this a good or a bad thing? Because it seems like they are shooting me through the system at lightning speed.

The work seems .. bearable ..., $20.00 an hour with 20 hours guaranteed, along with a basic benefits package (health, 401k, ect), along with pay raises and paid vacations. Is this odd for a PSE to get those benefits at the start?

(Note: the benefits are not the same as what career drivers get, they are more restrictive)

I am just trying to figure out if I am being rushed through and given what seems to be unusual perks due to people retiring (or something along those lines) or due to PSEs being used and thrown away and needing to be replaced by the truckload.

(Oh, and I am not incredibly experienced, I have a years OTR under my belt, but it is the real kind with the 70 hour workweeks and month and a half work periods.)

7. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I wouldn't take a PSE position but, that's me. Depends a lot on your location and how many guys they have.

8. Ozemandea

Ozemandea Bobtail Member

May 5, 2018
    The only downside I see to being a PSE (Especially when I am a PSE starting with some benefits like health insurance) would be the hours.

See the thing is, even if I only work 25 hours a week I will be making about half of what I used too. I just need to wait until I have the ability to work the full 40+ hour workweek to actually reach my previous pay level. (My previous pay was $1,125-$1,400 working 70hrs a week.) And by then, with the 6 month pay raises, I should be able to surpass my previous pay level.

I see it as an investment, I am patient and young enough to take a loss in the meantime to gain large advantages in the longrun. The advantages being higher pay, easier work, being home every day, weekends, and USPS benefits and retirement options (which are honestly worth twice my pay)

9. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    To be 100% honest with you...YES YOU ARE being rushed in because PSE's are "NON CAREER" employee's. Yes you do get benefits NOW instead of waiting after a year, but you are only guaranteed 2 hours a day, not 4. PTF's are guaranteed 4, and FTR are guaranteed 8. Only Career employee's (PTF's and FTR) get a retirement plan. PSE's are ineligible until they turn Career.

The only reason why they are hiring PSE's now is to cover the contracted work that we're picking up from the HCR drivers...and that's all you'll be doing. All of this work that we're picking up will eventually be Career bidded runs...where PTF's will be converted to Regular and get to bid on these new runs. Union is already starting to pressure the Post Office to convert these new work as bidded runs now and some barns have already won grievance's and converted HCR work to MVS work now.

My advice...before you commit to being a PSE, is to first find out where you'll be on the PSE seniority list. Then find out how many PTF's you have...and that'll tell you if it's worth it or not to pursue this job. I personally wouldn't recommend the PSE job because you'll have to go up 2 seniority boards before you turn Full-time...which means YEARS as a PSE and PTF.

Only goods news I can say right now is that we're currently about to start our new contract negotiations...so who knows what changes will be made in our new contract. It may be good news or bad news...but one major change that will happen is the executive order that president Trump made to assign a "Task Force" to study the Post Office's operations and finances. I'm not a big Trump fan, but he may be what we need to overturn this "RIDICULOUS CONGRESS MANDATE" to prefund our pension and healthcare for the next 75 years. This crippling effect is what's holding the Post Office down...and if Trump manages to overturn this ruling, than I'll definitely be a Trump fan...well...somewhat of a Trump fan...lol.

Shaximat Thanks this.
  10. JV_620

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    Orientation May 29 at 7:00A. Downtown Boston for MVO.

After I asked her, the cordial lady in H.R. that I spoke with today was unsure about how many folks she thought that there might be in orientation/training come the 29th. In the Greater Boston metropolitan area anyways, the Post Office is consistently hiring for this career craft position. It actually rather surprises me to be honest. I was told it is going to be "...all the overtime that you want..." and to "...plan on working Saturdays..." as well. So, with that said they may have a lot of people retiring or just excess mail?? Who knows. What I do know is that the posting for this job is still being recruited for in my area. I got lucky. Only 4 times a charm. :):)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted