PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    If you have a chance to work out of that barn...DO IT!!!! They need drivers BAD. I think they have over 100 drivers and ALL of them are getting a RIDICULOUS amount of OT. PTF's I heard are getting over 60 hours per week. Almost TOO MUCH OT at that barn.

Martin1888 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Martin1888

Martin1888 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2018

4. Martin1888

Martin1888 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2018
    I have an interview there on Wednesday. Looking forward to seeing what they say. Been a teamster for the last 18 years.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Welcome aboard brother. Former Teamster's myself.

Philly has a STRONG Union Local. The one you applied at is the South Philly plant. It's fairly a new facility compared to some of the other barns out there. It WAS suppose to replace the NE Philly BMC, but I guess Philly is toooo big of an area for one plant to handle. The one in South Philly is a P&DC...but it's actually WAAAAY bigger than the NDC in NE Philly.

Postal Union is WAAAAY more complicated than Teamster's. Altogether combined... there's about close to 1000 pages of Union contract...so there are MANY interpretations of our contract. You have to almost be a Lawyer to understand our contract. But being a shop steward is a paid position at the Postal Service. It's not a lot...but you still get paid.

Martin1888, Shaximat and LTL2PO Thank this.
  6. Shaximat

Shaximat Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2017
    We already have about 4 or 5 new spotters. As for tractors, as long as its not international crap i'm fine. And by the way, i work one year on automatic and find myself to lazy to shift when i had to drive ryder tractor. Plus, cop pulled me over for sitbelt as there no sighns that its a postal truck. He let me go without no tickets, but still you dont want to be pulled over extra time :) so i prefer postal tractor now.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  7. JV_620

JV_620 Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    I actually start as an PTF MVO orientation on 6/11 in Boston. I am a little bit confused though...I thought that I was going to be a full-time employee, not a part time employee :eek:? Or is it that PTF employees just work full time hours? I understand that as a PTF, I am actually only going to be guaranteed 4 hours instead of 8? Does that mean that I may not get 40 hours? I was told in the interview that there is "...all the overtime that you could want...".

I donno...I am not sure how I feel about being PTF...I thought that I would be a full time employee. Period. Can I get some clarification on this?

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  8. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    Nobody really starts off full-time at the Postal Service. Every Craft...you have to start off as a Casual... including our Craft. Mail Handlers have to start off as a MHA. Letter Carriers have to start off as a CCA or RCA. Clerk's have to start off as a PSE or PTF. Practically every Craft...you have to work you way up before you turn Full-time.

I don't know too much about MVO's, because we don't have any within my district. Straight Truck duties are part of our bid runs, so we (TTO's) get paid the same whether we drive a 7 ton, 11 ton, or a Tractor Trailer. Yes...PTF's are only guaranteed 4 hours a day, but that really doesn't mean anything. If there is too much work that has to be covered...too many drivers on vacation, injured, or don't want OT...PTF's will be utilized to cover the work. At my barn, PTF's consistently work 6 days a week.

You have to also remember that PTF's are Career employee's as well. PSE's are not. PTF's practically get everything that Full-time employee's get. Only thing that you don't get is a bid run (unless you're on a hold down position), holiday pay (which is built into your payrate) and the ability to sign up on the ODL list. Other than that...there really is no difference between PTF and FTR.

Hope this answers your questions.

JV_620 Thanks this.
  9. JV_620

JV_620 Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Centerville, MA
    Sho,

Thanks for answering some of my questions for me. I understand that you guys do not have any MVO's in your district, so it is a little bit different than up here I suppose.

When you state that there really is no difference between PTF's and FTR's other than holiday pay, signing up on the ODL list, and having an actual bid run - to me, the last of the three is what is probably most important for me and my future as a Class B CDL licensed clean MVR driver/operator at a young 39 years old. Let me explain: What I mean by that is that maybe others are okay with the holiday pay, the ODL list and not having a bid run on one hand but then they may say to themselves "...well, you know what though, I am a career employee". But, to me, and I can only speak for myself of course, I would like to get a set piece of work, if not the same route then at least the same schedule everyday. Furthermore, since I am technically going to be referred to as a PTF, and then since I am working 40+ hours a week, why would I not be considered "FTF" (full time flexible - I know that this designation does not actually exist though) instead of PTF? Again, that is probably a question for the APWU but has me curious :oops:..

The next question then becomes just how long will I or would I have to wait until I can finally actually get and call myself FTR? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? :(

And lastly, something that I wanted to point out from my interview day back in April: When I went to the interview, the transportation manager gave a talk for a few minutes to the group. One of the things that he touched on was "...we try to accommodate to the very best of our abilities the start times for MVO's, based upon your lifestyle...". Later on, when I had my one on one interview with him, he asked me if i had a preference for what I would like to work. With myself being about an hour and a half roughly from the city of Boston, and having a long commute involved before I might be able to find a spot and relocate closer, the thought process was that either a Tour 1 (10pm-4:55a), or a Tour 3 (12pm-10pm) would probably be ideal for me. As it turns out, I have been received my training schedule and I have actually been placed on Tour 2, which is much more difficult for me than say Tour 1, or Tour 3 :mad:..

So, the combination of the commute, the Tour that I got, the "flexible" hoursfrom day-to-day (5am one day, 9am the next day, 11am the next day, etc, etc), and not to mention the intense training period that it sounds like might be also involved all had me thinking that this might not work out for me. So perhaps I should just apply locally for a CLCA type of position and bite the bullet of just being a non-career employee for a year or so, take the #473 exam, and if I do well on that, hopefully get into my local Post Office and eventually become permanent on a set route. Sure, I may not get 40 hours, like I would as an MVO, but I can always supplement that with say UBER or Lyft - worse case scenario. I think that even if I start in Boston as a career employee right off the bat, even if I transfer later on, I will lose some pay, all seniority and become non-career I believe. Almost like starting over again.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated. And sorry for the diatribe :D:D..

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  10. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il

11. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    I got hired as ptf here in chicago back in March..and I am done already..can't even get 40 hrs..even 40 hrs checks are pedestrian..I am out.... Sunday..my last day..post office not all that...that's why so many guys quit..but maybe yu might get lucky at a location where there is plenty OT..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted