PSE Tractor Trailer Driver US Post Office

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I figured I'd answer your question on this thread, rather than on the other one...since it pertains to PSE.

IMHO...I personally would not recommend that PSE TTO job. PSE's (Postal Support Employee) is a "Non Career" position...meaning you get no retirement plan.

You probably noticed the job posting mentioned "New work", which means you will ONLY be covering the work that we picked up from the HCR Contractors...and that's all you will be covering...per our Union contract. Nothing else. It'll probably be around 4-6 hours a day. You won't be able to cover any of the Full-time Career work, or get any OT, or get any additional work from Peak Season. PTF's will get that before PSE's. They MAY use you as a last resort, if they exhausted the Career list and can't find NOBODY to cover the work, and a grievance will most likely be filed for that too.

PSE's overall has gotten DRASTICALLY better...compared to a year ago. Benefits you get from day 1, whereas before you had to wait a year. Your guaranteed 4 hours a day, instead of 2. OT is paid after 8 hours, doubletime after 10...whereas before it was only after 40. But you won't see any OT, since PSE's in our Craft are not allowed over 40 hours. OT only goes to Career employee's (PTF and FTR). Clerk PSE's on the other hand get a lot of OT, but different Craft. You'll also get 7 Holiday pay, compared to none before. No annual leave, sick days, COLA raises, etc., etc.

So all in all, it's definitely gotten better for PSE's, but they're still conisidered as casuals and you have to be available for ANY day, ANY time, and ANY shift. PSE's at the Post Office get used and abused. And to top it off, not only will you have to work your way up the PSE seniority list, once you get converted to Career, you'll also have to work your way up the PTF seniority list as well, before you turn Full-time Regular. That's why I can't recommend that job.

Here's a copy of the PSE settlement that was recently made....

Attached Files:

Shaximat Thanks this.
  2. Alegria123

Alegria123 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Houston tx
    Wow, great info! It might sound stupid but I just thought that "PSE" was always part of the starting point on TTO job. My Job title only had TTO (Tractor trailer Operator) it didn't have PSE does that mean or change anything?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  3. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    PSE was a starting point prior to our current contract (that's been extended until negotiations are over).

That job posting is for a PTF TTO position and it is a Career position...which means you'll get benefits, retirement and Career payscale. NOBODY starts off Full-time Career at the PO. Practically EVERY position that's bargaining (Union), you have to start off as a PSE or PTF in the MVS Craft. This whole thread is basically a PTF TTO thread. So I would read the whole thread if you want to know what the job is all about...and THEN make a decision if you want to pursue this job.

Alegria123 Thanks this.
  4. Alegria123

Alegria123 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Houston tx
    Much appreciated! I took charge today and went to PO peak Hub (temporary hub) since the the main Hub is gated. I spoke to a senior Driver and he told me "it's going to be rare if u get less than 40 hours even during the slow season." Also ran into a union steward in a yard jockey and told me the same thing.... It's like the big man upstairs put them there so I can ask lol Both were backing up almost at the same time side to side docks with contract carriers around. UPS has been a disappointment to say the least! 1st one hired on and the list and not even called yet to work. They kept saying next week or tomorrow, things like that and nothing! Found out today by a Driver that some of supervision buddies casuals like me have been working every day since last week when they got hired way after me. I'm disappointed but not mad I truly believe that things happen for a reason and what goes around comes around.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    If you plan on taking this job, make sure you understand that this is a "pay your dues" type of job, and it takes a LOOOOONG time to reach top rate. So take this into consideration...because you're not gonna make the big bucks in the beginning...especially as a PTF. And make sure you find out how many PTF's you have too. VERY IMPORTANT...because if you're like number 20 or 30, I would seriously look somewhere else. But each barn is run differently. If your barn is severely understaffed like my barn is...you'll get a lot of OT. Good luck.

Alegria123 Thanks this.
  6. aztruckerr

aztruckerr Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2013
    phoenix,az
    Well I've been thinking since the last time I filled out the application and went to the interview it's been a few months now and I've been thinking what could have should have would have.so they have another career position open so filled out the paperwork retook the score score is high so now will wait and play the waiting game I know I'm still hireable because when I left and talk to the gentleman he said yes it'll just be on the application as not selected so we'll see I'll keep you guys posted. PS I'm in Arizona I

7. Shaximat

Shaximat Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2017

Well, we just had a guy, who turn to FT after about six months, and yet he quit a few days ago. Thats the reason - no OT, no money. You can afford this job either when you young and dont have nobody (like kids..), or you have someone behind your back, like wife.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  8. aztruckerr

Apr 20, 2013
    phoenix,az
    Well considering I have no kids and a wife who has a career. Im set

Shaximat Thanks this.
  9. aztruckerr

Apr 20, 2013
    phoenix,az
    In AZ the starting pay is $ 22.67 that's good money for the required 32 hrs they have to give you.

• Draft saved Draft deleted