PTO GOING BAD? Electric back up issues

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by justcarhaulin, Apr 9, 2023.

1. justcarhaulin

justcarhaulin Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2015
    I've been having issues with my pto providing enough pressure to load my 2016 pete 389 7509.
    1-According to a mechanic who looked at the pto the transmission fluid is mixing with air that goes to the pto.
    2- Not enough pressure especially on the trailer to lift while loading. Psi about 400 on truck and 200 on trailer. At higher rpm the psi goes up to about 800 on head rack. Changed the filters last month.
    3- The electric back up work fine only on the head rack. It does not work on the trailer even with toggle switch activated. No action at all.

I think I need a new pto but don't know what's going on the trailer

Has anyone dealt with this issues. Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. justcarhaulin

Jul 20, 2015
    Forgot to mention that am in Richmond va heading to portsmouth va.

4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    1st thing I would try is unhooking the trailer hydraulics and seeing how the truck worked with the PTO at idle (Most Cottrells are setup that if you don't set the tractor brakes, the engine will stay at idle.) I'm guessing the pressure relief on the trailer valve bank is bad and things will work fine. I don't know anything about East Coast Truck and Trailer except heresay, but I believe they are in Portsmouth or close by.

If the PTO is sucking air from the engagement line, it shouldn't affect the electric backup. That would have to happen on the suction side. You could probably hear that with the truck off and the pto engaged by putting your ear close to the tank opening or against the side of the tank, you'd hear the bubbling. I suppose it is possible the PTO is totally shot and bleeding pressure back to suction side, but if that were the issue, you'd think the rack wouldn't work either.

5. justcarhaulin

Jul 20, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. The electric back up motor works on the rack but won't come on on the trailer. Am thinking it's a wiring issue. Btw I've only used the electric back up a couple of times in about 7 years.

6. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Oh, I misunderstood! I thought you meant the back up pump was engaging but not working on the trailer. Just use a bungee to hold the tractor switch up while you need it.

Now the I'm sober, there's no way for air from the pto to get to the hydraulic pump. Two separate devices bolted together. But it is possible to suck air, but you'd almost have to have a bad suction hose for that to happen. There's not much suction pressure, especially with new filters.

justcarhaulin Thanks this.
  7. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    Sometimes the logic valve goes bad. The large bolt pointing upright on top of the valve bank. I have had to switch the valves around from bank to bank to get it to work. They wear out and it controls how the hydraulics use the oil pressure to lift in the bank of valves.

8. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Curious how this turned out? What was the problem?

Its been so long now but could you engage your electric pump at the truck side and then work your trailer hydraulics? Curious if you tried that at all too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.