Pulled over for no rear tag in Arizona

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by gpf87, Feb 26, 2020.

1. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Has this ever happened to any of you guys while bobtailing ?

I was pulled over by an Arizona state trooper in an ADOT vehicle while passing through Yuma AZ on I-8 .

Arizona only issued my company one tag per truck and I was pulled over and given a warning plus inspection for this bogus violation . I asked him to please give me a ticket but he refused ,so now I have a warning plus inspection on my otherwise perfect record ; great !

I've NEVER seen a rear tag on any tractor besides maybe NJ , WA , and some Mexican trucks . Actually ,as he was bothering me , every single bobtail passing us had no rear tag

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Arizona dot are known to be some of the biggest pricks there is . u should be able to data q it and fight it. I have never seen a truck with anything on the back other than taillights and mudflaps

rachi, slow.rider, Mattflat362 and 5 others Thank this.
  4. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    You're not kidding . Every one is scared of CA but I've never had a problem there ; only AZ .

and mind you , I'm driving a brand new truck and was going 62 mph in a 65 mph zone through Yuma ..I don't get it

rachi, slow.rider, Dave_in_AZ and 2 others Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Sounds like he went fishing for something and u were the catch of the day . did he tell u which tag he was looking for ?

6. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    That's exactly what I told him after he was done . I told him very respectfully that I felt he was fishing and that I did not appreciate the bogus warning .

I tried explaining that Arizona (and most states) only issues one tag / plate for CMV's and he was just acting very obtuse . By his theory we should mount the front plate to the rear while bobtailing . There isn't even a bracket or light back there for it

7. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Time for your company, or it's legal council to contact this officer's supervisor. Our power only company bobtails thru Arizona hundreds of times a year, in my 15 years at it never heard of such a requirement.

8. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    CO only issues 1 plate and it must be on the front. I assume most other states are similar.

9. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I've never seen a bobtail with a license plate on the rear.

10. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Discovery time!

If your company does not do it for you, get a lawyer to send a request to the jurisdiction of the officer asking them to provide the law/code reference justifying the issuance of a warning for an AZ registered combination vehicle power unit not having a rear license tag.

Sounds to me like you got some rookie idiot officer who thought that all laws for all cars also apply in full to all trucks.

11. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Thank you .

Yes , my company is supporting me on this issue . They run only CA and AZ registered trucks and run all over the west . When I called my safety department , they were completely shocked

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.