pulling a hill

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by rusbow, Mar 26, 2008.

1. rusbow

rusbow Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2007
    The company I worked for blamed me because I coudn't pull a hill in snowy, icy conditions with doubles and I wanted some input. Here is the scenario. First trailer is loaded to 18k, second trailer is loaded to 17k. The tires on the drives are in poor shape. I throw a new set of 3 railers on one drive axle, in a pull-out on level ground.
    I leave the pull-out and start up the hill trying to pick up as much speed as possible. I eventually drop down to about 15mph on the low side and I spin-out. I keep the rpms high torque low when pulling a hill. I ended up breaking the set apart and pulling them up one at a time.

The company said I don't have enough experience to do the job.

I say, the truck is under-powered and not enough weight on the drives, to get good traction while yanking about the same amount of weight in second trailer. Did I pull this hill wrong?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    From what little I know from being beside a trucker driving up major hills with heavy loads and crummy tires, it sounds like you did what you had to do to get the job done. You didn't just sit at the bottom and say, "I can't make it so I'm going to sit here until they salt the roads", you got it done.

I'm not a truck driver but have spent months with one and have many years of driving experience and, with that limited experience, I'd say you did the job and got it done. Without good snow tires, what do they expect???

I think you did the right thing and it has nothing to do with experience. Crappy tires and snow don't mix. Ever. Especially in a truck.

4. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    I'm not a driver, either, and have absolutely no experience in a truck. But I agree with minpins -- you did what you had to do to get the job done. Like she said, you could have just sat idle until the road was clearer, but you came up with an alternate plan and safely got your trailers up the hill.

I'll be eager to see the drivers' response to this. As far as I'm concerned, though, my hat's off to ya', rusbow.

5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I've pulled triples in the same stuff except in NV I never chained up unless it was absolutely required. If you stopped at the bottom of the grade that was your mistake. You need a little momentum to get up the grades. I keep the rpms on the low side of the powerband so the tires will not spin out. Also I don't know if you had a power divider but that needs to be used also. You were loaded enough to get up so I believe you had too many rpm's and too much power to the wheels. That's just my opinion and what has worked for me.

However, you broke the set down on the highway which is not good but the only thing you could do. I think in that condition the company should be grateful that no tow truck was required.

Next time try a little speed at the bottom and keep just enough power to keep going. If you brake traction let up and re-apply very easy. Maybe some other drivers have done it different and can help but I've never been stuck on a hill but thought I would many times.

6. CometVR4

CometVR4 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Ohio
    Can you activate LSD while moving or is that only for low speeds?

7. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana

You should be under 45Mph and never when you are spinning your tires.. If you are spinning them and you engage your going to break something...

8. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    LSD? I must have been too sheltered in the past, I know we are talking about the power divider but what does LSD stand for, besides what I once knew it to be.

9. Nuthinspecial

Nuthinspecial Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Salem, Or
    LOL...... I was thinking the same thing!

10. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Limited Slip Differential

11. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

i go at the low end of the power band,halfway luggin the motor if its really slick, and as has been said when ya spin out, let off and ease back into it

sounds to me, with the high rpm's you just spun it out and couldnt regain traction to finish the pull

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.