Pulling Doubles - Smaller heavier trailer first?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by doubles, Feb 23, 2017.

1. doubles

doubles Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Hi. I tried posting this question a few days ago but it was deleted.

When pulling doubles, I know that the heavier trailer must be first. In my case, the heavier trailer is shorter. Does the longer trailer need to be first? My shorter trailer is connected to the truck with a pintle hitch. The trailer is about ~30' and has about 30,000 lbs of construction equipment on it. The rear trailer connects to the lead with a fifth wheel dolly and is about ~45'. The rear trailer hauls a mobile office at about 9,000 lbs. Mobile office will not fit on the smaller trailer, and the larger trailer cannot support the construction equipment so I can't switch them around. Currently I make two trips each time and would like to only make 1 trip by pulling both trailers at once. Any advice with this setup or recommended solution?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    @Mike2633 didnt you post a pick of backwards doubles?

Either way op, its legal, just looks funny

4. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    The heavier trailer must always go first @road_runner posted the picture. If the smaller trailer is heavier it has to be the lead and this does happen, yest it looks funny, but that is how it is done heavier trailer always up front.

5. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Right! I forgot which guy posted it

Rowdy1 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    You can not pull doubles from a pintle hook totally illegal. The lead trailer must always be hook a fifth wheel

7. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Yeah that wouldn't be good pintle hook doesn't have the capacity for something like that it could break off and that wouldn't be good both trailers would then be flying down the road.

JReding Thanks this.
  8. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Yup... It's called a reverse rocky mountain set. Your heaviest trailer always has to be upfront. Yes, it looks weird and yes people will give you grieve on the CB over it. I once intentionally pulled them out of sync to see what the big deal was with having 12k+ lbs more in the rear... It was not a fun ride. Best way to describe it is like pulling a metal ball along a long medal string. The ball will not trail in a straight line.

20170127_160856.jpg

MACK E-6, Pintlehook, doubles and 4 others Thank this.
  9. doubles

doubles Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Thank you for all of the information. I appreciate the notes about the pintle hook as well.

Some followup questions:
    Is the dolly considered a trailer on its own and need to be licensed and insured? I assume it needs a DOT inspection done as well.

What is the max length each trailer can be and max total length? Its common to see FedEx or UPS trucks pulling two or three 28.5' trailers. Is 28.5' the cutoff for each trailer length? Could I pull multiple 45' trailers (I think this is called a turnpike double)? I haven't been able to find length restrictions and laws (I will by hauling in UT, ID, MT).

Where can I find information on obtaining LCV permits as I assume I'd need them?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Dolly's at least where I work do not have licens plates. They do have some kind of title paper work and lights, but none of them that I have ever seen have plates.

11. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    For your follow-up questions... Each state has their own maximum length laws. You can pull turnpike doubles in Utah, but not in Montana or Idaho. Your number one reference source is your permit book. Your company will have to apply for a LCV permit per state that the specific truck will drive through. Each permit will list maximum length and speed limits based on those lengths. Also it will give you route restrictions. Do not triple on highways in Montana. You can leave the interstate up to two miles. I learned that lesson the hard way.

If you have any specific questions or have a hard time understanding the legal jargon in the permit book, then ask your co-workers or dispatchers.

I will get back to you on con gears. I don't want to give you any wrong info. I know ours have some kind of title or registration paperwork attached to them.

doubles and Mike2633 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.