Pumpers Puzzle

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Trixstr, May 24, 2017.

1. Trixstr

Trixstr Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    Ok, so I have a conundrum and have put it to our company veterans and even our trailer mechanic. This was a diesel pump load. I had 3000 in the first compartment, 1000 in the third, 1000 in the fourth and 2500 red in the fifth. I pumped #1 off, then 3, then 4, switched tanks w/o moving the truck, then pumped off 5. I used my PTO driven suction pump. Never turned it off. I switched compartments the way I always do by waiting for the open empty compartment to allow neutral pressure for me to remove the hose slightly by hand then close the compartment, pull the hose all the way off, and move to the next one. Yet, somehow there was 200 gals left in 3 and 700 gals left in 4. If it were an air issue then the belly valves all shut and stay shut and if that hose is on there the pump sucks it on where you would not be able to remove it by hand. How did I do if and not get fuel everywhere? Didn't even seem like anything was wrong. Explain that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BKLusk64

BKLusk64 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    My first thought would be something to do with the belly valve locations in the compartments and how out of level where you were setting was.

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    old trailer w/ a dose of sag belly?

5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    At first I thought the air suspension(s) caused a bit of a heel by moving residual product away from the belly valves, but that wouldn't explain 700 retained gallons in a 1000 gallon compartment.

Do you have air-operated belly valves and/or vapor valves?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.